Bass Assassin 17

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
From time to time I find old jars on the beach too. I found this big but broke Mason jar at my ā€œspotā€ and this purple ā€œfruit jarā€ at my ultra secret artifact cove. Bottles and jars used to have a lot of style. Just look at these art deco product jars from the 30ā€™s or even the old Ball jars, these were all pulled out of the village dump site I told you about. I love this old ketchup bottle too; it fits in my hand real nice and is solid as a club.

But lately everything is plastic and has no class. I suppose that some day this junk will be collected but not by me. Whatā€™s that they say? ā€œOne manā€™s trash is another manā€™s treasureā€? Of course when you think about it we jump at the chance to dig through an old outhouse, which on the face of it is pretty disgusting.

I still prefer a product packed in glass and will pay a bit more for it. A lot of these jars I keep. In fact I use salad dressing jars as glasses, I do, I really do. I donā€™t know how many pricey sets of glasses I have bought over the years but they are all designed to BREAK so that you have to buy more. (Not like my maā€™s good old Anchor Hockings, you couldn't break those with a hammer), (she is in her 90ā€™s and she STILL has them). Now think about itā€¦product jars (like salad dressing) are designed to (get this)ā€¦not break! They toss that stuff around in shipping and stocking like a pin ball in a game. I have a full set of a dozen or so (same brand, different flavors) and I havenā€™t broken one yetā€¦.even dropped some on my kitchen floor which is made of stone. I must admit I also get a chuckle out of serving some fine Pinot Noir to my mother-in-law in a Gorgonzola salad dressing jar when she knows full well I have a set of 16 of each kind of Waterford crystal wine glasses. (Since she made my wifeā€™s father give them to us), (and I packed them away), (she was the daughter of a rich North Dakota potato farmer and wears purple died mink coats to church and sits in the front pew), (big fish in a small pond), (you know the type).

Attachments

• DSC03692.JPG
    DSC03692.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC03695.JPG
    DSC03695.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC03686.JPG
    DSC03686.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC03684.JPG
    DSC03684.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC03499.JPG
    DSC03499.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC03491.JPG
    DSC03491.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 121

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice fruit jar unclemac

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks, I love when they start to turn color.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, great story/essay, and cool finds. Thanks unclemac. I look forward to your posts every day. Better than Dear Abby! HH! Yak

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
thanks, i wasnt sure if i should continue.

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, there's no stopping now. I look forward to seeing your stories. I think you have brought some new life to the forum

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
glad to hear it...i'll get another out tonite

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread