hey some people up there hang out here and the kinzli forum me im to far away

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's lots of places. Silver comes out of the parks in Oakland and Alameda, if you're a good turf hunter. I just got a nice barber dime and 7 or 8 wheaties at one of the greenbelts near Lake Merritt. Also watch for old-town demolition sites. If you hit them just right (before too much dirt is scraped out, and before fill-dirt goes in), they can be good. Miles and miles of old neighborhoods there, so you sometimes run across demo. sites.

OP
OP

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2009
Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 ~ Soon
Thanks Tom.. near lake merritt, wow!

Maybe when I get my detector we could hit up some places, and you could guide me through the basics. =]

A barber dime.. thats my dream =P I know its not too valuable but the history behind whose had it before is so amazing. And to think its been in the dirt all this time.

Thanks again guys, im happy to know theres some places out there for me.

If you find an old neighborhood how do you ask the people if you can detect their yards. Do you just knock on the door or what?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I live about 2 hours south of Oakland, so I don't get up there to hunt that often. Usually when I'm up that way, I work SF parks.

As for getting into yards, my favorite tactic is scouting the older neighborhoods, and catching people out sitting on their porch, working in their garden, or whatever. The odds of getting a "yes" are much better that way, as opposed to knocking on their door. The latter reeks of a door-to-door salesman. But catching them when they're outside, it's less confrontational somehow, to be on the sidewalk, instead of at their doorstep.

I used to love to roam Alameda, which ....... as you know, has miles and miles of streets all lined with 1800's victorians. Driving around on a Saturday, or at just after 5pm on a weekday, you're bound to see people out and about in their yards. I would just walk up and ask "Hi, I noticed your beautiful old house. Is it ok if I check with my metal detector in the front yard? You won't even be able to tell I was here, and you're welcome to any old coins that are found." Or something to that effect.

OP
OP

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2009
Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 ~ Soon
I checked the map after my last post; I hadnt realized you lived so far away. Thanks for the advice too, although I'd hate to give up a rare coin that I found, even if it wasnt my property. Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
1993, I just realized that I said "2 hrs. south of Oakland". Actually, it's about 1.5 hrs, as I'm in Salinas, CA.

And as for turning in goodies to homeowners, you'd be surprised how often they just say "keep it". Or here's what I'll do too: When I'm done, show them all the various coins, and give them to them (yup the clad and '40s/50s wheats, common mercs, etc... which we all know are scarcely worth $1 each :)). Then I'll have 1 token or a single key date lincoln or merc, and say "is it alright if I keep this one, as it's a token I don't yet have in my collection". Or quite simply, if you wanted to, you could elect to just not show them certain ones you find (but that's getting a little ethical, depending on how you phrased the initial claim that "they're welcome to anything you find").

But to be honest with you, it's a blast to see the look on a homeowners face even when you part with a good coin. They will sometimes get excited and turn you on to other tips/sites, or implore you to try their neighbor's yard with an introduction, etc... The way I look at it is, even if I had to part with a goodie, it's still fun to hunt. And you can take a quick dig. pix for your boasting rights, even though you can't keep it. I have parted with a few reales, and a silver dollar. But I confess that one of the $20 gold pieces I found, I did keep my mouth shut :-X That one was just too hard to part with. In that particular case, I didn't plan on holding back a truth, so instead, I just waited for the farmer to ask "what'd you find". Instead, he merely says "if you guys are done, I'm gonna be locking the gate now". He never asked, so we never volunteered the info. I had to do a double-take re-think, and try to remember my exact phrasing upon getting the go ahead to hunt this little lot (where a stage stop had been). We did say "you're welcome to whatever we find". But when he didn't press on us for a show-&-tell, neither did we bother him thereafter :-X

OP
OP

Tenderfoot
Feb 6, 2009
Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 ~ Soon
Its was nice of you to give the other coins back. I would have kept the gold too :wink:

Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. Nice story too btw.

Nov 24, 2007
I know of some spots with excellent potential - old homesteads in the east bay hills that are now just old foundations deep in east bay regional parks. Also, I know of a shipwreck site in marin that requires a 12 mile round trip hike. I came upon it on a super minus tide and the old masts had beautiful brass couplings which ignited my curiosity - I am sure there is good stuff there.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
1993, I just realized that I said "2 hrs. south of Oakland". Actually, it's about 1.5 hrs, as I'm in Salinas, CA.

And as for turning in goodies to homeowners, you'd be surprised how often they just say "keep it". Or here's what I'll do too: When I'm done, show them all the various coins, and give them to them (yup the clad and '40s/50s wheats, common mercs, etc... which we all know are scarcely worth $1 each :)). Then I'll have 1 token or a single key date lincoln or merc, and say "is it alright if I keep this one, as it's a token I don't yet have in my collection". Or quite simply, if you wanted to, you could elect to just not show them certain ones you find (but that's getting a little ethical, depending on how you phrased the initial claim that "they're welcome to anything you find").

But to be honest with you, it's a blast to see the look on a homeowners face even when you part with a good coin. They will sometimes get excited and turn you on to other tips/sites, or implore you to try their neighbor's yard with an introduction, etc... The way I look at it is, even if I had to part with a goodie, it's still fun to hunt. And you can take a quick dig. pix for your boasting rights, even though you can't keep it. I have parted with a few reales, and a silver dollar. But I confess that one of the $20 gold pieces I found, I did keep my mouth shut :-X That one was just too hard to part with. In that particular case, I didn't plan on holding back a truth, so instead, I just waited for the farmer to ask "what'd you find". Instead, he merely says "if you guys are done, I'm gonna be locking the gate now". He never asked, so we never volunteered the info. I had to do a double-take re-think, and try to remember my exact phrasing upon getting the go ahead to hunt this little lot (where a stage stop had been). We did say "you're welcome to whatever we find". But when he didn't press on us for a show-&-tell, neither did we bother him thereafter :-X
Opens a lot of doors too,and you always have places to hunt!

Old California

Jul 16, 2006
Central California
Hey 1993, Isn't that a song?

Anyway, Tom is generous with giving his finds away. He's given me a few old coins and some relics he's found at a certain Ca. Stage stop, These finds he made are displayed with my finds from the same stage stop.

Here's my take with finding old coins and relics from private property, Give the property owner everything when possible or at least put together a nice display for the property owner and include even the best finds with the display.

You will be blessed 10-fold and then some with old lost settlements coming out your ears, You'll have enough sites to detect for a lifetime :)

Trust me, When possible give back your finds and give them back with joy.

Paul (Ca)

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old California said:

Anyway, Tom is generous with giving his finds away. He's given me a few old coins and some relics he's found at a certain Ca. Stage stop, These finds he made are displayed with my finds from the same stage stop.

Here's my take with finding old coins and relics from private property, Give the property owner everything when possible or at least put together a nice display for the property owner and include even the best finds with the display.

You will be blessed 10-fold and then some with old lost settlements coming out your ears, You'll have enough sites to detect for a lifetime :)

Paul (Ca)
:icon_scratch:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa battery said:
Old California said:

Paul (Ca)
:icon_scratch:
Paul practices what he preaches :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread