Bazooka Or Gold Hog Sluice - Which Is Best For My Area?

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Central Illinois where all of our occasional pieces of color are brought down here from Canada and were ground to mostly very fine flat flour gold during the long trip here. The size we have found ranges from a 1/8 inch wide x 1/8 inch tall thin flake to specks that I can only see with a 30x loupe.

I'm saving up for either the Bazooka 36 inch sluice to use in some of the larger creeks plus the Bazooka Mini sluice for the little feeder creeks or the new Gold Hog stream sluice with the fast water and slower water mats. Both options seem to be fairly close in price. I'm not in this to make money, it's just for the fun of finding that occasional piece of color. My wife and I have both been panning for a couple years and love to spend the day at the creek.

The reviews I am seeing for the Bazooka sound good except that they seen to let the fine gold pass on through. I'm not finding much of anything for reviews on the Gold Hog stream sluice. I've watched the video of Doc showing how to use the Gold Hog and only two other videos of it being used, both with good results. I'll say right now that I am leaning toward the Gold Hog but would like to hear the pros and cons for either type sluice from anyone who has used either one.

Thanks

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a couple of thoughts....Really fine gold capture seems to be a black art and, by reading, Goldhog seems to be one of the best at this. Goldhog is at it's best in highbanker configuration due to being able to infinitely adjust flow, angle and mat configuration, etc. In offering a stream sluice, Doc has to be pretty confident it kind of parallels the high banker. On the flip side, pre-charging the trap of a bazooka with some larger sized stones is said to aid in fine gold capture so that may be satisfying to you.

Here is Doc's latest on stream sluice mats. Gold Prospecting Forum ? View topic - What mats to use in a stream sluice. OFFICIAL THREAD

What ever you choose, good luck.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pre charging the trap has very little affect on recovery. Believe what you want fact is the trap "charges" itself.

I run both they have about the same efficiency. You will run more material through a bazooka I comparable conditions

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pre charging the trap has very little affect on recovery. Believe what you want fact is the trap "charges" itself.

I run both they have about the same efficiency. You will run more material through a bazooka I comparable conditions

I don't own one and I meant to say, "some say to pre load the trap" and in retrospect that was when feeding sand not bank run. Sorry for the mis-info.

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Its an easy choice for me. Run 10 - 5 gallon buckets Or run three. And I get a lot of real fine gold.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own one and I meant to say, "some say to pre load the trap" and in retrospect that was when feeding sand not bank run. Sorry for the mis-info.

All good. I just want to make sure people don't get confused

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've learned its nice to have a sluice for all occasions but if your going with one look at it like this the bazooka is great if you have good water situations the gold hog 2 matts for fast or slow and adjustable legs to me fills the situations for more or all stream flows it will take you a little bit longer on clean ups that's all the trick is with gold hog matts thin water over the matts and ripping best situation and run steep to the point of blowing out then back off some if you find that you are the matts will last forever too total length is 54" long by 10" wide and would not be hard either to turn into a future high banker either but in extreme low flow water situations I think the angus mackirk and letrapp are best this is just my humble opinion

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both , if I could only afford one it would be the Gold Hog it will work in many water conditions , You will have to buy a small Bazooka to run in low water conditions . I have several Gold hog products and they seem to be the cats meow .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread