What's new

Beach Clad Pile .. 4-Month Total with AT Pro .. What Happened to this Quarter ?

SoCalBeachScanner

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2013
Messages
610
Reaction score
547
Golden Thread
0
Location
Coastal Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I've had the AT Pro for Four Months now and almost all this was found at the Beach and in Shallow Water in the Last Four Months.
When I come home from MD'ing, I would give a handful of coins a quick glance and just throw them in a large vase. After I filled my third vase, I decided that I need to start cleaning and dumping. I had to throw a couple bucks worth of zinc pennies away that were beyond saving.

I separated the coins but I only counted the Quarters. My Quarter count is $219.75, and I estimate the total between $350-$400. While separating the coins, I found a silver quarter and some wheat's that I didn't know I found at the time. Most of the dimes you can't even read the date, so I will check those after cleaning.


P1030827.webp--P1030833.webp


Also, what's going on with this 1990 Quarter that I found in the pile?

The Front and Back Look Fine, only the Edge is Totally Wiped Out.
.
Has anyone ever seen anything like this? ... Was it minted like this? ... Did someone machine the edge off?


P1030851.webp--P1030861.webp


P1030864.webp--P1030865.webp


Thanks for Looking ... Good Luck This Weekend
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
yea i see that a lot when I dive, dig up old clad thats been there forever, the copper gets eaten away. I was confused by the first few too, but certain spots Ive found tons of them, all just like that. So it has to be a chemical reaction with the copper and water. Ive also gotten some pretty funky lookin silver, i think that reacts in some water too. But anyway I think its a good sign, where your detecting hasnt been hit that hard or often, you will probly find some goodies there.
 
They do that when they have been in the water a long time. Its the copper degrading between the two outside pieces of nickel.Dimes do the same thing.
 
Last edited:
Nice job! That's a lot of digging!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
yea i see that a lot when I dive, dig up old clad thats been there forever, the copper gets eaten away. I was confused by the first few too, but certain spots Ive found tons of them, all just like that. So it has to be a chemical reaction with the copper and water. Ive also gotten some pretty funky lookin silver, i think that reacts in some water too. But anyway I think its a good sign, where your detecting hasnt been hit that hard or often, you will probly find some goodies there.

They do that when they have been in the water a long time. Its the copper degrading between the two outside pieces of nickel.Dimes do the same thing.


Yeah, your both right ... I have found a lot of quarters in the saltwater that have looked like they have been in the saltwater a lot longer this one. This quarter actually looks pretty good until you see the edge. Out of over 800 quarters in the pile, this is the only one that did this. Crazy!!
 
WOW!! That's an impressive coin count!

Congrats on the great detecting!

I find lots of quarters just like that...too long in the salty ocean.

Lorraine
 
Wow! That's awesome! What a pile! You must of been a fisherman! My AT Pro didn"t come with a net!:laughing7:
 
Nice clad finds.
 
When I first saw it I thought of something I came across on eBay one day it was a quarter that can actually hold an Mini SD card in the spy section.
But I will go with the rest and say erosion.
 
Yep, corrosion. I found a dime that had been corroded out like this as well. Actually thought it was silver as it had turned it to a nice silvery white but was just too thin.


Cory
 
That's a pretty fat stack. How often are you hitting beach?
 
great post and thanks for the explanation mnruxpin. Learn something new everyday. Cheers folks!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom