I am sure many of us could go back and forth all day and justify why ever machine out there is better than another. Just like some vehicles, some folks are die hard Ford, Chevy, Dodge ETC. ETC.
I own both machines. I ordered a ex cal ll when they first came out got a bad one, sent it back got another bad one , sent it back got another bad one, finally I said I don't want to spend all summer sending detectors through the mail.
So send me one of the new beachhunter300 (they had just come out) In fact I was the first one to buy one from Kelly co. It came and guess what? , bad , yes bad , sent back, received another bad... Now I am starting to think something is wrong with me however Pete (Eriikk) who always hunts with me was there all the time and agreed the machines were screwed up.
I finally got a whites that worked and it was great for about a year and then leaked. Sent back to Whites and received a brand new one in the mail in a few days no questions asked. I think its a awesome machine and has found many rings over the few years I have had it and paid for it self ten times over.
Then this year I said I want to try a ex cal. ll again and purchased another, and guess what? I finally got a sweetheart its purrs like a kitten and I have been using that more than the whites for now.
I think each one has its place . I don't think one is better than the other, any top of the line machine will find the good stuff. Like we always say you could have the best detector in the world and if your coil doesn't pass over it your not going to find it.
There are some things I hate about the ex cal such as no indicator light to show you its charging or a simply led light that shows its charged. A charger that doesn't take 17 hours to charge the battery. (by the way I solved that problem with a quick charger) Knobs that last a month or so and then break. (so used heavy duty ones from radio shack and replaced their screw with a SS Allen type screw so I could clamp down on it. You pay what we pay for these machine and we shouldn't have to deal with stuff like that. It is common knowledge about these issues, it been going on for years with no attempt by minelab to fix these problems.
Then White a square box that makes it hard to glides through the water, leaking issues that should have been corrected years ago, I love the lights but if your machine is underwater like mine most of the time you cant see the lights. A coil that they claim is neutral buoyancy but if I let my machine go the coil comes to the top like a cork
Sorry for getting so carried away but I am just trying to point out there is good and bad with every machine, and it really boils down to what the person likes.
I love them both and am lucky enough to own each one....
And in closing I think every metal detector sold should come with a straight shaft.....
Sorry for the long post LOL......