U.K. Brian said:
Hi Silver,
I hate to say it but you have just about everything wrong in your post. The Beach hunter I.D. is a cut down DFX in a waterproof box. So twin frequency to deal with salt water effects rather than pulse.
I'm confused here... I was told by a Whites Rep that the MXT and DFX were basically the same, except that the DFX could have additional programs put in it, where the MXT was a "fixed program machine".. Thats why I chose the MXT, I didnt want to bother with programs, tweaking, etc...
Wide v cone detection patterns also can't really be applied as VLF can be wide or narrow, as can P.I.'s depending on the design.
Well I must be reading the wrong books then, because the MXT Edge, and Pulsepower both show diagram's that illustrate wide vs cone shaped electromagnetic fields..
As for the other posts you can get discriminating P.I.'s but until recently you only had ferrous/non ferrous discrimination.
Tit for tat, yeah, even the PI Dual can be "discriminate" if you count adding pulse delay which will "hide' the smaller signals, but it will also "hide" small gold, which is not really true discrimination (in my view), but target size selectivity. Can you name a PI Machine that has true discrimination such as a VLF, which actually nulls all iron, even at high sensitivity settings?
To get back to the original question even with its newer large coil the Beach Hunter still lags behind the D.F. but has the big plus of tone and coloured lights for target I.D. I have the original version with the smaller coil which performs better where there's lots of iron/old chains etc dotted about as I can get in and between the ferrous. The bigger coil of the 300 and D.F. won't allow this.
Now thats some good info.. I have found that to be very true at the one "trashy" lake near my home.. I couldnt even hunt the dock area, as the big coil could not separate signals at all..
If you want the best depth go pulse which will tire you out more with the increased digging though there is a degree of audio discrimination with all P.I.'s BUT its not a 100% even on bobby pins as you get a double blip in one direction of sweep but a good signal cross sweeping (so make certain you sweep from different directions). But the bobby pin could be length down in the sand giving just one note or you could have coins on edge giving two.
Cant disagree with that, but in all honesty, since i was new to the Excal, I dug nearly as much trash as I have with the PI so far... No iron (but bottle caps are magnetic, and often when rusty dont sound like a bottle cap), per se, but most of the trash I find in or near beaches are pull tabs, bottle caps, and aluminum slaw... So I dig plenty of garbage anyway..
The Beach Hunter lacks the depth. Doesn't cope as well on black sand but has its discrimination which means you can use it on the dry sand as well. Don't forget less depth could mean more finds as with the P.I. you will be digging deeper holes that end up containing rubbish.
Also dont forget, that they (unless they have now solved that problem) have a reputation on many boards of being "leakers".
A Pulse Devil when it gets into full production will give the best of both worlds. Pulse depth and full range discrimination.
Who, when, and where? That will be the ticket...