beach treasure of a different sort

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went out last night at low tide.? The sand has all shifted around and the beach here is totally different.? The slope changed and loose sand with lots of aluminum has buried the best stuff deeper.

I wasn't skunked, though-- well, it DID smell like skunk out!? But some fresh shells had washed up, and I found this beauty.? Not particularly rare, but it is only the second one I've seen wash up in 10 years of walking So Cal beaches.

Upvote 0
Nice Abolone shell Lab Rat,
I used find those when I lived in B.C.
I think California has really large ones out deep in the ocean.
I heard that abolone meat sells for over $100 a pound!
Dave.

OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Thanks, Dneyedli, but I see I forgot to post the size of this specimen-- the shell only measures 3 1/2 x 4 1/2 inches! Smaller than the palm of my hand.

Large ones used to be quite frequent years ago, but the meat is a delicacy and they have been fished heavily. Out here they are a protected species now, and though I snorkel and scuba dive, I have yet to see a live one outside of an aquarium.

Lorrie

Greenie
Sep 22, 2004
WOW! I am a advit shell collector and would love to fine something like that. What beach? After the hurricane found 8 cowrie shells in tack at Sebastian a rare site.

OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Hi, Lorrie-- this came from a Los Angeles County beach, as did my only other specimen. Where is Sebastian?

When I was in San Diego I found about 5 perfect cowries once after a storm, and thought I really had a prize, but as I looked more carefully I found they were all still alive! So they all went back in the water.

Lorrie

Greenie
Sep 22, 2004
Re: shelsl found on the beach

Hi, thanks for the feed back. Sebastian is off the east coast of Florida where all the hurricanes came in. Well, two of em. The 1715 fleet of Spanish ships of which there were 12 went down in this general area to Ft.Pierce. Us metal detectors wait with baited breath for a chance to find gold coins, jewelry and artifacts that haven't been salvaged wash up. They are finding pieces of eight and gold coins. I want one so bad. I will be going back this Sunday and Monday in high hopes. This is where I found the shells. They call it the treasure coast. There is so much treasure that have gone down off the Florida coast. I live in central Florida near Orlando, but grew up on the coast. This last hurricane took away all the beaches. The buildings are slowly falling into the ocean, sad sight. This is a record for us to have survived three hurricanes in 6 weeks. Well, happy hunting. Lorrie

OP
OP
lab rat

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
I was a little south of there (Homestead to Key West, Ft. Pierce, and over to Tigertail Beach) last year and picked up some nice shells. I hunted several hours with my detector, but only came up with 11 cents (2 coins) and 3 pull tabs. Amazed I found so little-- especially when everyone out there wears gold! Wish I could be out there now!

Lorrie

Greenie
Sep 22, 2004
Hi, I'll let you know if I find something. You might just hear me from there. Ha! This forum is hard to understand. I hope I can get back to it. See ya Tues. with news I hope!

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
hey lorrie;
I have a son living in the Orlando-winter Park area.....I was wondering how the pan-handle beaches would be after the storms.. I live in Indiana so won't get a chance to hunt them...Bet lots of goodies are turning up. Would be interested to hear about them

Lorrie

Greenie
Sep 22, 2004
Hi, Don't know if any treasure have been found in the pan handle but they got hit very hard. I hear people? are flying in just to hunt treasure on this coast. I want in the worst way to find a cob or piece of eight. If I hear of anything will let you know. Going over Sun. and staying at some friends at Port St. Lucie and coming back Mon. There are only three bridges to the islands but one is out and the other is half. Bad sceen. Don't want to go thru this again for a very long time. I wanted a hurricane to come to wash up some treasure but . . . three! We were lucky here but the coast no so. Hope your son is okay. Chat later Lorrie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions