Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bounced around town this morning, hit up an old permission, with the hopes of detecting the neighbors yard....sure enough that neighbor was home, and yes I can beep!
First target was the 1920 Merc, :headbang: I was feeling good about this hunt to day the least.
Underneath an old tree, beneath a root, was a deep 72 on the Pro.... sure enough it wasn’t a zinc, but a pretty 1893 Indian, fantastic!:icon_thumleft:
A few wheats, including one that the rim was shaved off, petty much a destroyed coin, but happy to have rescued it.
So the star of the day was what I was hoping to be a deep Barber Half, no such luck.... but so much better!
Looks to be about a hundred years old, gonna take some work to figure out who L. R. Britton was...
Out of the ground it had a dull grey patina, my wife did a great job getting it cleaned up for display.
Ok, the pics...
56695A5E-D0C4-4663-9B92-96ED90356B9C.jpeg
C27886C9-F600-4428-BC1B-F73ECFF62F10.jpeg
68892A90-EA8E-4716-89DF-292ACBE38928.jpeg

Thanks for looking!:hello:

Upvote 31
An absolutely awesome find. Since you have initials and a last name, as well as a place the person might be from you may have luck using Ancestry to find a match.

Excellent hunt with the Merc, Indian, and foreign coins. That Sterling Silver bag is super cool!:cool: You had one heck of a good day mate. Well done!:headbang:

You had a great day I see Dave. Wow. love the silver piece. That IHC will clean up nicely with a few toothpicks. Dontcha Love to hunt virgin ground. :thumbsup:

Thanks Kevin...but I’m out of toothpicks.:dontknow:

That's really cool. Never seen one before. Great work!

What a cool Sterling tag, never seen one posted up ever. Congrats on the recovery and best of luck tracking down the name.

Thanks Kevin...but I’m out of toothpicks.:dontknow:
Dave, out of toothpicks?, tell you what my friend, I'll send you out a box of toothpicks, you send me the Indian. THAT was a great yard, for me the luggage tag was the best. I need a day like that, heck, we all could use a day like that.

I agree looks early 1900s, good luck on tracking the owner.

The shaved down Lincoln cent was made to rip off a dime pay phone.

The tag is really killer. Congrats.

The shaved down Lincoln cent was made to rip off a dime pay phone.

You would think.... must have been a popular thing to do, as I’ve found over a dozen of them in this neighborhood.
45A6C12A-F86B-4A01-BABF-DFF06EE18948.jpeg

Um...HECK YES PLEASE! That tag rocks. Congrats on a very unusual find. I hope you can research the owner. Sub 8-)

Hello BWD. The luggage tag is great and that was one helluva hunt...a merc, an IH, 6 Wheaties, and a silver monogrammed piece...NICE!!

Good Luck out there. C9 BTW I got the Pats today in the office pool, hope they don't let us down.

Congratualtions on the very nice hunt and finds! :occasion14:

Truly a fantastic day. Congrats on that awesome tag.
Im curious as to why someone would invest so much into a silver bag tag.
I like the cheater penny too, thats awesome.

Awesome and interesting finds!
A quick search on Ancestry.com finds a 1940 Brevard, Florida census for a Lillian R. Britton, born in Florida, single, age 63, as an owner of an orange grove. There is also a 1900 Waterbury, New Haven, CT census that seems to show the same Lillian Britton, born in Florida, as a single 23 year old teacher, living as a sister-in-law of William L. Tayler (sic), a 28 year old stationary dealer from Mississippi, whose wife's name is Mabel. Could be Ms. Lillian traveled a bit?

Awesome and interesting finds!
A quick search on Ancestry.com finds a 1940 Brevard, Florida census for a Lillian R. Britton, born in Florida, single, age 63, as an owner of an orange grove. There is also a 1900 Waterbury, New Haven, CT census that seems to show the same Lillian Britton, born in Florida, as a single 23 year old teacher, living as a sister-in-law of William L. Tayler (sic), a 28 year old stationary dealer from Mississippi, whose wife's name is Mabel. Could be Ms. Lillian traveled a bit?
A little further research shows this Lillian was born June 4th 1876 in Brevard, Florida as Lillian M. Roberts, daughter of Harry Roberts, born ca. 1840 in England, and living in Brevard, FL in 1880 as a horticulturist. The 1910 Brevard, LaGrange census shows Lillian already being divorced from Mr. Britton, and living without occupation in the home of her brother Phillip Roberts. Lillian died 11/17/1959 and is buried at LaGrange Cemetery, Mims, Brevard, FL. her gravestone is inscribed "GRAND TREASURE OF THE GRAND CHARTER OF FLORIDA ORDER OF THE EASTERN STAR APRIL 1922 TO JAN 1948".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back