What's new

Bedrock Mortars

southfork

Silver Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2014
Messages
2,553
Reaction score
8,418
Golden Thread
0
Location
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These pounding holes for food processing acorns - nuts - seeds are found all over California this group is close to home . IMG_6581.webpIMG_6576.webpIMG_6578.webpIMG_6571.webp
 
Upvote 0
I have heard of some around my area but haven't seen any where I hunt at. So are the holes big enough to scoop the food out with the bare hand after they pounded it? Im guessing that is how they got it out.
 
I have heard of some around my area but haven't seen any where I hunt at. So are the holes big enough to scoop the food out with the bare hand after they pounded it? Im guessing that is how they got it out.
Most of them are large enough to scoop out by hand . That's how I clean the dirt out of them . They also used a conical shaped basket with a hole in the bottom to place over the holes so they could process more at one time . They also used brushes made of soap root to sweep up the acorn meal .
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I like all types of artifacts
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom