What's new

Been over a week now....ugh!

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2008
Messages
1,415
Reaction score
412
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Yup - first time in over two year's I haven't searched a box. One of my sources dried up and all my deliveries got moved to Thursday afternoon(working) and Friday so I haven't cracked a box for seven days....so today I hit a pawn shop and bought a Capped Bust 1826 half and a 2009 Jamestown dollar! Felt pretty good and got the half for $25. Worth a bit more than that ;D

Maine_Jim
 

Attachments

  • Capped Bust Obverse 1826 copy.webp
    Capped Bust Obverse 1826 copy.webp
    102.4 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
Thats a sweet half! :thumbsup: I just got a 1970-d half today in a mint set that I got a great deal on feebay. I figure if I can't find it then I'll buy it, only at a good price though. Does this mean I can be a member of the 1970 club :dontknow: Just kidding :laughing7: I will keep serching to get my membership
 
Nice score on that bust! I've been trying to put away a few, but at $100+ on up, they are pricey! ffd
 
Jim,
Nice deal on the coin. How much did the James town go for?
Rich
 
Rich - I got everything for $62. My actual "out of pocket" cost was $30 as I'd just picked up a free box of books at our local "town dump" which I then sold for $32 to a used book store that was next door to the pawn shop. I figured I had some free money so I'd turn it into silver.

I occasionally will check our dump and have found some great stuff there. Best find coin related was an Indian cent collection that even had a few of the key dates. It was in a box of old kids books from the 30's and they were all in a coin board. I grabbed the whole box and brought it home and handed it to the wife. As she was looking for books for our four year old she was like "what is this dear?". The coins were all over the bottom of the box as they had dropped out of the board. I had a big "whoo hooo" over that find. Never know where you're gonna find treasure!

Maine_Jim
 
I know the feeling, my bank gets their orders on Tuesday and the rest of the week sucks because I have nothing to look through. Been busy at work lately so havent had a chance to grab nickels or dimes so last night I sat down and went through my wifes childhood piggy bank. Loads of copper a few wheats and a few 1970 S cents which one maybe a small date variety. No silver though, but yes it helped to feed the addiction.

Thats a nice buy. Little damage to the front with the scratch but definately worth $25.
 
I assume you mistyped the year on the Jamestown dollar. They were issued in 2007 not 2009. If yours is a 2009, then you got a private mint commemorative. Would love to see a pic of the Jamestown. If it is the real deal, then you need to turn yourself in as you "stole" it. Awesome score indeed.
 
Oops - my typo there - 2007. Good catch. Nothing that special but a nice coin and I liked the look of it. He had some other common halves and dollars too - Franklins, Walkers, Morgans, Peace. All were priced a little high for junk coins. The dollars had been $12 a piece a few weeks ago and I was going to grab some of those but he had jacked up the prices to $17 - $22. I probably could have got them for $15 each if I bought a handful. When I saw the CBH I offered him half what he was asking and he took it. Didn't really want to spend much more that day.

Maine_Jim
 
So you paid $37 for the Jamestown? I assume it is the uncirculated and not the proof version. If so, that is a great deal.
 
Yea - it was the uncirculated and in the plastic mint capsule. Does have a tiny dot on it. I might open it and give it a dip. Won't grade a 70 though but just about perfect. Cool coin for the price. I found out that the Capped Bust is an Overton 112-a Rarity 2. They are a pretty cool coin and by google search I found a whole page on them.

Maine_Jim
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom