Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
My 800 was sending me a few too many signals the other day with the 11” coil. I wiggled the cable near the coil and it would beep consistently when tweaked in one direction. I put on the small coil hoping it would stop, but it did it with that one as well.
I’ve only been at this since last August so I’m still learning. Is this normal, or do I have a problem? I noticed it was beeping a bit much in my swings, so that’s why I jiggled the cables.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line that should not normally be happening, but some situations can result in "microphonic" coil noise. Assuming you are not over tugging on the coil cable and based on the fact that you notice it while detecting, it appears something may not be right with your coil(s), how you have the cable routed, or with the detector. It also might be "normal" for the way you have the detector set up, especially since you are seeing it on 2 different coils (unlikely both have failed). Need more info though.

Settings? Does it do it on all modes? Are your GB settings showing high numbers (coil bump sensitivity tends to increase on Equinox if GB adjusts to a high number)? Coil cover cleaned inside of any sand/debris? How do you have your coil cable strain relief set, it should be tight enough to keep the cable stationary on swings but loose enough to allow you to adjust the coil angle. Coil Connector tight at the contro pod. Make a video and show us if you can, might also be useful if you have to end up contacting Minelab support.

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
My 800 was sending me a few too many signals the other day with the 11” coil. I wiggled the cable near the coil and it would beep consistently when tweaked in one direction. I put on the small coil hoping it would stop, but it did it with that one as well.
I’ve only been at this since last August so I’m still learning. Is this normal, or do I have a problem? I noticed it was beeping a bit much in my swings, so that’s why I jiggled the cables.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Do you have your coil cable coming out of the coil and up and over the lower shaft or under the shaft. The cable should be run up and over the shaft and not under the shaft. Also, as vferrari states, be sure to use the velcro strap to fasten the cable to the lower shaft. Any metallic object moving in proximity with the coil, whether it's the coil moving or the metal object that's moving, will be detected as a target. That includes a loose coil cable.

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your sensitivity setting? Are your swings level or does your coil tend to angle upwards on the ends of your swing. High sensitivity, not wrapping coil cable properly (check the manual), ground balance setting wrong for your ground conditions, loose coil connection, pendulum swinging can all cause extra coil noises especially combined together.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
That is normal and all detectors do it. Remember the cable is a metal object moving above the coil.
thats what the cable ties are for. The bottom one needs to keep it from floppier. Do not infringe and put tight stress on the cable that causes it to bind and brake. Also this goes for the cable up the shaft about 14”. A flopping cable can give false signals.
Doug

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get it where it won't catch grass or weeds, etc., and it still acts up just call the manufacturer and get their input. Any cable can get a loose connection or break a wire.

Last edited:

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I’ve laid my detector on a table and taped the coil lightly from the side with my hand and I have gotten false signals.
grass, weeds and sticks can produce false signals also if the coil is bumping the ground during your swing.
Doug

OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, all... Being new I need to look at all the variables you have given me and tighten up my protocols (or loosen as the case may be) and see how we do. I appreciate all the feedback, and will get back here with results based on your suggestions.

Much appreciated!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I assume when you are wiggling the coil cable connection with your hand, that you aren't wearing any rings, bracelet, or wrist watch? :laughing7:

OP
OP
R

RussM

Oct 2, 2019
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
XP ORX

Garrett Carrot

XP MI6 Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, got it straightened out... turns out it was a little bit of a few things mentioned, but nothing overly out of whack. Sensitivity a bit high, cable a bit loose, swing a bit too abrupt on the returns.... some hot days I don't have the patience needed to be out enjoying this.

My thanks to all...

Larwar

Jul 23, 2014
New Richmond WI
Detector(s) used
A T Pro. Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was experiencing the same thing, it was so noisy when swinging I had to go back to my AT pro, I contacted Minelab and One person said it was normal to get a signal, but another told me it was not normal, I sent my coil and pod to Minelab good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread