beginner in north east Connecticut..

whatheheck

Aug 24, 2012

Dr Freezelove

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whatheheck said:
Hello all!! Just joined, and am very excited about being on here, and making likewise friends!!
I'm new to metal detecting, and I'm going out to purchase one this weekend, any good ideals?
Plus I'm doing an old bottle dump dig, sometime soon, near Pachuag State Forest..
I'll let you guys know what I find!
Cya!!!

I am from CT and I am getting ready to buy a MD in the next few weeks. Trying to figure out what to buy i will be looking for places to hunt as well. Maybe we can hit a spot or two.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is against state laws to dig in state forests and state parks unless it on public beaches, which make me outrage.

OP
OP
W

whatheheck

Aug 24, 2012
Hey Dr! Would like to go on a dig sometime with ya.. I'm new to this aswell..
And I thought state forest were ok to dig in, with a hand shovel.? I know Parks aren't allowed

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is against Ct. laws to dig in any state forest and any state parks except beaches and you must turn any rings and watches found on beaches to the staff. For more information and regulations: Contact:
Thomas J. Tyler at [email protected]

Best of luck from Connecticut_Danny.

OP
OP
W

whatheheck

Aug 24, 2012
Thanks Danny for the heads up!! Didn't know that.. soo, like.. where can you actually dig?. Do those same rules apply to surface scanning?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me I am as piss off as the rest of you in Connecticut. When I started back in 1965, we were allow to dig in state parks and forests. Only on beaches can you dig. Read my comments above. Yes you can surface scanning but no digging on dirt and grass. You may end up with pennies and pull taps. Contact Mr. Tyler and he have a long list of state parks and forests where we are not allow to dig except beaches.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you provide a LINK to that CT law?
I have never been asked to give rings to staff.
I had a Ranger ask me once if I could look for a ladies ring she lost the day before.
I have hunted many years and was never asked to return rings to staff.

EDIT
I have searched the State Of CT website with no luck for the Laws. I would like to read them if you have a LINK on the state of ct website. Not some website just posting laws.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
CT danny, if a law is not in writing somewhere (specifically saying no metal detecting), then why would we/you/anyone want to contact any certain individual to get their say-so? I mean, whoever this Thomas fellow is, might just be giving his personal opinion and whim, or his interpretation on things he morphs to apply to your "pressing question".

For me, if I don't see if specifically written somewhere "no metal detecting", then ..... no ... I'm not going to ask a bored desk-bound bureaucrat "can I metal detect?". And no, I don't consider phrases addressing "defacement" "digging" "altering" and so forth, to apply to metal detecting. Because think of it: All such phrases distinctly inherently refer to the END result, do they not?? I mean: if you leave no trace of your presence, then technically you have not "alterED", defacED, or dug anything now have you? Sure someone can debate the semantics of the temporary evil process of extraction. But for pete's sakes, do you really think anyone cares unless you are being a total nuisance? Do you really think anyone cares UNTIL YOU ASK?

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read #6. Ask Tom to sent you laws and regulations pertaining to use of metal detectors in state parks and state forests of Connecticut. When I started searching public beaches in Milford back in 1965, there were not too many people with metal detectors. Since then, there were and still is people dig holes without cover them. So the state pass regulations and laws. I am just upset as the rest of you. Search state parks and forests except beaches and you may lose your detectors and end up in jail for a very long time. Best of luck to all of you in Connecticut.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not going to believe one idiot from the STATE. That is like a COP throwing you out from a park because someone complained but you have the right to be there.
I want to see the real LAWS on it. You can call the State and probably get 3 different peoples interpretation of treasure hunting laws and they would all be different.

Read #6, and contact Thomas.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Sam, you keep telling others here to "ask Tom" or "call Tom" and so forth. Let me ask you: Have YOU called or written this "Tom" guy? Apparently so, eh? And if so, did he provide for you, the actual citation, which actually has, in specific verbage, anything that says "no metal detecting"? Or was his answer simply "no you can't"? Or "cultural heritage" verbage (or alterations, defacement type stuff verbage) that he morphs to fit your question?

The only answer I would consider conclusive, is something that specifically uses the words metal detector or detecting. If "Tom" did not give you something that specific, then no, he's simply morphing other things to apply to your question. Or giving you his personal whim. Thus no, I do not take that as an answer. Heck, he could just as easily have said "it falls afoul of the 'public annoyances' clause, because someone might think you're blocking their view of the sunset, thus you can't do it"

So instead of simply telling us "ask Tom", praytell, you tell us: What was Tom's answer? And was it backed up with an actual citation, that had the actual verbage specfically with something saying "metal detectors", in print?

Last edited:

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many states have regulations and laws pertaining to treasure hunting in state parks and state forests including Connecticut. Don't you think that if many people do not cover their holes, that the STATE would be outrage. #6 explain it all. Sent a e mail to Thomas J. Tyler at [email protected] and he will e mail you the laws and regulations pertaining to Connecticut. Black and White. He did not make the laws and regulations, but the state government did and there is every state and forest that listed no detecting except beach and the items on top of the ground. Sent me your email and I will forward the information. [email protected]

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ok then Sam, I'm going to assume your brief text, in #6 above, was the entirety of the answer you got from "Tom", regarding the question of "can I metal detect in Ct. state parks?" Here it is, quoted straight from you, which I assume is a quote straight from him:

"It is against Ct. laws to dig in any state forest and any state parks except beaches and you must turn any rings and watches found on beaches to the staff....."

As such, I see nothing there that specifically mentions or forbids "metal detecting". Do you agree with me so far??

Ok, therefore, we are left with "digging" verbage, and "lost and found" verbage. Let's take them in reverse order:

For starters, "lost & found" verbage. Are you aware that such verbage exists everywhere? Yup, city, county, state, and fed, ALL have laws that persons must turn in, to the police (or rangers, etc...) any items that exceeds a certain dollar value limit. These laws were born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800s. And today can be logically applied to things like: If bundles of money falls out of the back of a Brinks armored car, the lucky guy who scoops it up can't say "finders keepers". I mean, duh, it just stands to reason. Otherwise EVERY crook caught with stolen merchandise, walking down the street with stolen TV's, could just say "I found it". In CA, for instance, the value threshold is $100, state law, for which you are obligated to turn things in to the police station (the law makes no distinction of how this value is arrived at, as to whether it's replacement cost, or melt value, etc...). But a simple look at ANY metal detecting "finds" forum, and you will see ample rings, watches, etc.... being found (especially on beach hunter finds forums), and .... you tell me .... do you really think they're all running down to the police stations turning them in?

So in conclusion, the "lost & found" verbage that Tom gave you, if YOU think that stops you from metal detecting, then I suggest you give up metal detecting everywhere, right now (except on private land). Because those laws are at every level of govt. land, going back 150+ yrs. And the law makes no distinction on when YOU think an object was lost (ie.: a ring 8" deep in the park, was obviously lost 50+ yrs. ago, but no, that's not for you to decide, as the law makes no distinction).

Ok, so that takes us to the other point: "Digging". Again, are you aware that such verbage exists at ALL public lands EVERYWHERE? Eg.: also at county parks, city parks, and any public land. Or the verbage may go something along the lines of "alterations" "defacement" "vandalism" and so forth. Because of course, did you really think it was "ok" to go "deface" and "alter" and "destroy" public property, anywhere? If you make the automatic equivalence that "MD'ing = destruction and defacement", then you have lost the battle already. Give it up, and take up another hobby.

Think about it Sam: ALL such verbage DISTINCTLY applies to the end result!! So by logical definition, if you leave a spot exactly as you found it (no trace of your presence), then logically, you have not defaced, altered, destroyed, vandalized, cut or dug, HAVE YOU?? Sure someone can dispute the temporary evil process of extraction, if they want, and take issue with semantics and definitions. If this bothers you (that not everyone will love your hobby), then again, I fear you have chosen the wrong hobby.

Thus I do not consider the answer, in #6, to be saying "no metal detecting". Short of specific verbage (specifically saying "no metal detectors"), then no, all such other things are simply an issue of "no one cared TILL you asked" psychology.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom in Ca
Why are you so interesting in the state laws pertaining to searching parks and beaches in Connecticut? In New York State, you need a permit to search cities and state parks. I am going to try to make this very simple for you. When I started searching Milford city beaches, there were very few people with detectors. Then many people used detectors, and then refused to cover their holes, and the state got so upset, they make laws, as stated #6, I recommend that you sent a e mail to Thomas, he will e mail you the laws. I am not too happy about these laws. I do search town and cities pubic parks and beaches with no problems. Good luck to all of you.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
why do you keep failing to simply tell us what this "Tom" fellow says? If he says what you said he said in #6, then no, I do not consider those things to dis-allow metal detecting. Unless "Tom" can cite something that specifically says "no metal detectors", then any other such answer ("no digging", etc....) is simply something that "Tom" morphs to apply to your "pressing question". Please, do not answer this by telling me/us to "contact Tom". It appears that you did, and you related his answer in #6, and no, that did not say "no metal detectors".

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom in Ca
We are wondering if there are any town, cities, county, federal laws pertaining to using metal detectors on government lands in your state???? Ask treasure hunters in New York City and New York State, if they need permits to search city and state parks and forests. I believe that Tom is just interesting in harassing me. I make it simple for Tom and his friends, sent a e mail to me: [email protected] and I will forward the laws pertaining to the use of metal detectors in state forests and parks in Connecticut. Enough said. All of us treasure hunters in Ct. welcome Tom and his friends. I am only interesting in states laws where I use my metal detector, and that is only in Connecticut. God bless Tom little heart and soul.

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Tom
Come here to Connecticut to search state parks and forests with your detector, and see how long it will take for you to end up in jail.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread