Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A friend of mine at the soup kitchen where I volunteer once a month told me he and his wife had put a contract on a house built in the 1890s plus two acres of a 6 To 7 acre parcel of land the house is on.Found out through another friend the house is currently owned by a guy I know that works at the Y where we both go and she was his neighbor years ago when they were growing up.I asked the Y guy if we could metal detect there and he said sure but to call and make sure he knows when we're coming.We were planning on going today but then my husband said we might be taking advantage of my soup kitchen friend by hunting the property before he has a chance to close.Soooo.my dilemma is do we go on and search the other acres the house is not on or would my soup kitchen friend think I'm being sneaky? He wants to be there with his kids when we detect there.Dear Abby?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Why not wait until your soup kitchen friend owns it and then detect? Or you could just mention it to them and see what they say...

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I actually already asked my soup kitchen friend and he said yes,we could come after they move in but that limits us to just searching around the house and the two acres. George,the guy who owns the house now and is still living there said we could search all over as the other parcels have not sold yet. I know this property has been searched before as it is on a main road where the Battle of Nashville took place but still you never know. I don't want my soup kitchen friend to think we circumvented him by going before they moved in.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dear G,
hunt the other 4 acres now, and save the house and it's 2 acres for after your friend buys it. Problem solved.

S

stefen

There is no delima...

Your Soup Kitchen friend gave you permission with specific terms and conditions.

If you decide that you are willing to violate this friendship and oral agreement, then by all means ignore the terms you agreed to.

The delimma is are you a moral person...

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tell him the other 4 acres he has no control over. he has no reason to object

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Being a moral person stinks,just kidding.Another reason why I'm waffling on what to do is that we are going to sell the metal detector we have soon and get another one which means the time frame for hunting the other acreage will be lost before my soup kitchen friend takes possession. I'm wondering if the best thing to do is just be upfront and ask him if he minds if we hunt the other land while George still lives there and then come back when he and wife and kids move in.I think I've answered my own question with ya'lls help.

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$25 please

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see a dilema, just do what you think is right. You have permission from the present owner, which includes the added acres, and with that not included in the other deal, it's not part of it. I would go ahead, but I also trust that your judgement will dictate what is right for you. Good luck, and HH

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems we have an accord

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't see a dilema, just do what you think is right. You have permission from the present owner, which includes the added acres, and with that not included in the other deal, it's not part of it. I would go ahead, but I also trust that your judgement will dictate what is right for you. Good luck, and HH
I guess my main problem is going on and looking without getting the nod from soup kitchen guy ,even though I don't think he has closed yet.Almost like I didn't want him and his kids hanging around while we detect,like no witnesses if we find something good. I will noodle on this some more and maybe talk to the Y guy Monday and get his thoughts.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how could he complain if you detect the land he isn't buying?

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is true Jeff.i just think when we get there George will just let us look wherever and I'll feel guilty.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just save the two acres around the house for the other guy and his kids
coily you worry too much

OP
OP
CoilyGirl

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually it was my husband that got me being a little bit reticent about "the rules." I was all like " Let's go get some juice Ringy!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions