What's new

Bell - Age and use?

thedukeofdelaware

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2017
Messages
264
Reaction score
197
Golden Thread
0
Location
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20181213_182122.webp20181213_182204.webp

Can anyone put an age on this bell, and does anyone know what kind of bell it could be? Do those three small holes mean anything? At the bottom/widest part, it is 3.28 inches. About 1.6 inches at the top. Thanks for looking!
 
I believe it's a brass cow bell missing the suspension loop. Probably dates somewhere maybe 1870 to 1900
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a teachers bell or a household bell. Would have had a handle in the top. Any markings on the inside lip?
 
Upvote 0
not that I can see..
 
Upvote 0
mid to late 1800's IMO
 
Upvote 0
Any way to see inside / clapper ?
 
Upvote 0
Yeah... I am "staying" on the dates.

Bells are funky... they have not evolved much in hundreds of years.

They have been produced in mega-ness amounts and everywhere... and everyone with a bag of salt owned at least one it seems.

They have always been a "shot in the dark" on dating ones like yours.

No later than 1900 for sure I would bet though.

Hope I helped some.
 
Upvote 0
I believe 1900 or a little before. Older bells have a ground look, newer one were usually machined turned.
Yeah... I am "staying" on the dates.

Bells are funky... they have not evolved much in hundreds of years.

They have been produced in mega-ness amounts and everywhere... and everyone with a bag of salt owned at least one it seems.

They have always been a "shot in the dark" on dating ones like yours.

No later than 1900 for sure I would bet though.

Hope I helped some.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom