Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I believe this is a belt buckle. Found on Prince Edward's Island in Canada. Any help in identification or what era would be appreciated! There is a mark on it "SWIFT"
It’s a colonial era knee buckle. Swift is the maker’s name. Someone may be able to narrow down the date a bit more for you based on the mark.

Upvote 3

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm… the buckle below was sold on eBay by “junesantiquesncollectables” on 8th November, described as a Georgian (18th Century) shoe buckle by the seller. Apparently part of a lot of 5 buckles plus a naval Tudor rose button, found in Kings Lynn, England:

Swift.jpg

To me, yours appears to be not just similar, but the same buckle. Compare the casting defects and corrosion pattern. Did someone sell this on to you with a ‘new’ description?

Buckle.jpg

Upvote 7

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm… the buckle below was sold on eBay by “junesantiquesncollectables” on 8th November, described as a Georgian (18th Century) shoe buckle by the seller. Apparently part of a lot of 5 buckles plus a naval Tudor rose button, found in Kings Lynn, England:

View attachment 1993975

To me, yours appears to be not just similar, but the same buckle. Compare the casting defects and corrosion pattern. Did someone sell this on to you with a ‘new’ description?

View attachment 1993974

Now that is curious! Good catch Red-Coat!

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does this happen?

Downvote.jpg

I didn't think there was any opportunity to "downvote" a post. Is it because creskol selected the 'Wow' icon, and that has a negative connotation? I thought the 'Wow' face was a positive thing.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
How does this happen?

View attachment 1993976

I didn't think there was any opportunity to "downvote" a post. Is it because creskol selected the 'Wow' icon, and that has a negative connotation? I thought the 'Wow' face was a positive thing.
Must have been. I didn't realize that either. I changed it to a thumbs up and now it is a +1 vote. Not sure that the votes on this forum really amount to anything anyhow.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have been. I didn't realize that either. I changed it to a thumbs up and now it is a +1 vote. Not sure that the votes on this forum really amount to anything anyhow.

Yeah, that must be it. I was just curious rather than critical.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mebiner

Greenie
Sep 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1993975

View attachment 1993974
Uh-oh. Luckily I haven't bought it yet. It's listed on ebay now as being found on Prince Edward's Island, Canada. I posted it here because I wanted to learn more about it before purchasing it. Great catch and thank you!

Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1993975

View attachment 1993974
Eagle eye.

Upvote 3

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Uh-oh. Luckily I haven't bought it yet. It's listed on ebay now as being found on Prince Edward's Island, Canada. I posted it here because I wanted to learn more about it before purchasing it. Great catch and thank you!
What is the link to the listing? I can't find it in an Ebay search?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, I don't doubt it to be an 18th Century British buckle but for sure it wasn't found on Prince Edward's Island... although I don't see where the re-seller says it was.

Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I don't doubt it to be an 18th Century British buckle but for sure it wasn't found on Prince Edward's Island... although I don't see where the re-seller says it was.
I am not seeing in the listing where it says it was dug on Prince Edward's Island either.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 1
OP
OP
M

mebiner

Greenie
Sep 12, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've bought from the seller before. He does a lot of relic hunting on Prince Edward Island in Eastern Canada. So when the description said "Dug Button SWIFT in Eastern Canada" I just assumed he dug it himself there. The listing is a bit misleading though.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I've bought from the seller before. He does a lot of relic hunting on Prince Edward Island in Eastern Canada. So when the description said "Dug Button SWIFT in Eastern Canada" I just assumed he dug it himself there. The listing is a bit misleading though.
Are you sure he is a digger and not a reseller of stuff from the UK?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread