Bennington Marble - Mid to Late 1800s

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
This is a marble I found and posted a long time ago... I'll share it here too. It was Identified by DuffyTrash, T-Net's own marble king. :icon_king:

I'll add some text from that original post as well...

index.php

index.php

From DuffyTrash:
hey jim that there is a bennington marble..a better one with the multi color...the "eyes" on it were made by the mibs touchin each other during the salt glazing..probably made in germany in the mid to late 1800s...some were made in akron ohio,but by then the glass marble industry was beginnin...nice antique marble but not too valuable, maybe 2-5$ for the fancies..bigger the better..that one looks to be less than 3/4 inch...ive seen em 1-3/8 plus...

From Montana Jim:
It's a 3/4"er. It actually has two eyes, I was wondering about them. I believe it to be lost between 1866 and 1910. The marble is NOT perfectly round and I just think it's awesome. While the value thing is cool - I have no intention of getting rid of it... it's one of my favorite finds from this area. Thanks for your help with identifying it and letting me know more!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is cool, I didn't even know marbles were around that long... :thumbsup:

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Very cool marble, Jim.

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
some of the larger bennington or stoneware spheres were used as stop valves around oil wells or during sewer construction....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread