What's new

Bergshutz Medal (More then likely antique)

TiBorn

Full Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2011
Messages
189
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My metal detector is roached but I've been digging on instinct around my property and recovering some cool things. I recovered a 1913 British penny and an old hammer to a flintlock pistol or something of the sort. My most recent find however was a Bergshutz Medal in the shape of a shield. It has a mountain man on the front with the inscription "In Meinen Bergen Bin Ich Dein Schutz" It's silverish in color. I was wondering how I could go about dating it and/or if it has any value.
 
Upvote 0
the verbage is this In Den Bergen Ich Schutz Dich In the Mountains, I Protect You

age there is no telling because no picture and it is a medal so there is no way to really tell. They are still given out today. But nice digs
 
I'll try to get picks up but I can tell you it's not new. There is a very strong possibility the only Germans that ever crossed my property were the hessian mercenaries of the early wars.
 
I'll try to get picks up but I can tell you it's not new. There is a very strong possibility the only Germans that ever crossed my property were the hessian mercenaries of the early wars.

unlikely
 
You may be right but then again I don't see you explaining how a one of these German protection medals ended up smack dab in the in the middle of the most fought over town in New York. I might add that I've found other relics from that time period buried in my lawn. None the less I have a picture of it that I will be uploading shortly.
 
Last edited:
IMG002.webpIMG002-1.webp These are pics of my find, also I weighed it and it weighs a full ounce.
 
'In my mountains I am your protection.'

The casting suggests 20th C, still better than most junk.
 
Thank you, sorry for the sarcastic tone before I found this in my front yard and it was found with other things from the 1800's and possibly later. In fact I found more things from that time period today.
 
:dontknow: ??? how bout some pics
 
My sixth post was two pics of the object in question oldsaltly19. Please double check and tell me what you think.
 
'In my mountains I am your protection.'

The casting suggests 20th C, still better than most junk.

ULLR medal. Rubezahl is his name. Giant in the montains....he is the one who protects you.

http://www.sammlerecke.at/tagungsabzeichen/ullrabz.html Second one in the "Salzburg" chapter is similar to the found one.


Here is a website for ULLR medals in the states. Ullr Ski Medals, About Us, Unique, Collectable, Custom Made Ski Medals. Ski Medals to Commemorate Ski Events - Ski Resort Events and Ski Resort Openings!
 
Last edited:
Interesting, I wish I could find a reference to the exact one I found. Any idea on a possible value? Thank you for everything.
 
Last edited:
I guess there are hundreds of ULLR/Rubezahl designs in the 20th century made. If there is no makers mark...no chance. Value? It's a pretty cool find in the states why sell something worth 15 or 20 bucks?
 
I still have my doubts that it's new. This is a historic town, so the question remains, how did it get here? But in any event it's a nice piece in my collection.
 
I am in Germany!!,am german I have the same pendent with a egale with red paint on it and old man its for protection when climbing moutains in Austria made ? early 1900s maybe 1800 late am trying to find out how old and how much its worth also lloked on EBAY but found nothing am going to a antiq shop soon,In the mountains I protect you!!!.
 
TiBorn , What is your discomfort with a date of 1920's or thereabout (my guess ) the font + design is suggestive of circa
80 - 100 years old - do you want this to be like 200 years old or something ??
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom