Best $200 Metal Detector for Coins

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I'm looking to buy a new metal detector. I got into the hobby a few weeks ago with a BH 1100 and want something better. I want something that penetrates better, has discrimination and target ID. Doesn't have to be good at gold or relics.....I want something that has a reputation for coins. My price range is $150-200 on Ebay. What can I get with that very, very modest amount? I paid $50 for the 1100. The selection out there is tremendous and this rookie is going to resort to a BH 3300 if he can't come up with something else. :) Thanks in advance.

11/12: Based on responses to this post I'm convinced that the 250 is the right choice. Based on what has been said and what I have read.........

BH 3300: Better price. +
Haven't seen or heard to many good remarks about depth -
Sensitivity/Interference issues -
Target ID +

ACE 250: Reputed Coin finder. +
Most hands down recommendations. +
Am convinced this will have the better depth of the two +
Read a few little quirks about it -

Upvote 0

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have heard good things about the BH 3300. With that budget, you might be limited on choice.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Try looking at the Compadre by Tesoro. If I remember correctly, I paid about $150 - 175 and I love it. It has one knob simplicity. In my opinion, it is a great little detector for the money. Check it out.

Captain Trips

Jul 24, 2006
No doubt in my mind -- get the Garrett Ace 250. Great on coins, has discrimination and sensitivity settings, target ID and depth. Its only weakness that I've found is salt-water sand, as it has no ground balance control. But it's great on dry sand and in the parks, really pinpoints those coins once you get familiar with the machine.

Whichever one you choose, happy hunting!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Garrett Ace 250. for $200 it cant be beat. hands down.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I have a discovery 3300 for sale. It is great on coins. I have only used it twice. Like new with box. Will take $200.00 shipped, with headphones.It has digital target ID and depth readout to 10 inches, plus manual ground balance for changing ground conditions. Too many detectors, wife says I have to sell some. e-mail:[email protected] if interested.

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Another vote for the Ace 250!! Just purchased on a couple of months ago for $212.00 that came with five accessories on my choice and that included shipping.

I beach hunt, yea it can take some getting used to on salt but it’s manageable. If there’s a coin it’ll let you know with out question.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Forget the Ace..........go with the 3300. Especialy if you can get one fer less than $200, 3300 has manual ground ballance, the Ace does not, it doesnt sound like an ice cream truck (like the 250 does) & the 3300 is a proven coin machine! Ive owned both, still have my BH3300, sold the 250! Get the 3300 Ricardo! :)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have many choices. The 3300 is OK, but there have been problems. The Ace 250 has many people that think it can't be beat too. My concern is the purchase from ebay. Granted you can save a lot of money, but try to buy from a dealer and not an individual where you could be stuck with a problem machine. Dealers advertise on Ebay too.

Sandman

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mighty AP said:
it doesnt sound like an ice cream truck (like the 250 does)
ICE CREAM ,THE ICE CREAM MAN IS COMING,ICE CREAM !!!!!!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry AP, I'd have to go with the ACE 250 also. I bought one of the first ones on the T-net I believe and have learned to love it. I also have a GTI 2500, but often reach for the ACE because of the light weight and ease of handling. The icecream thing is the bell tone that both of my Garretts have and I have learned to expect a good find when I hear it. You can get the ACE with the small coil for around $210.00 or you can opt for the larger coil, but I get way more use out of the small one as it is excellent for feretting out finds in trashy sites, along metal fences, sidewalk edges, etc. With either the ACE or the 3300 you will need volume adjustable stereo headphones because neither has a volume control and it will blow your ears off with a non-adjustable mono headphone. Radio Shack $15.99, behind the head model is the best one I have used. Monty.

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Re: Best $200 Metal Detector for Coins/Updated cap of $200-250

Sounds like the ACE 250 is the one to get. In my opinion, it's a close call between the 250 and the 3300......if the 3300 can do what the specs say, plus, the 3300 has a nicer price. But something is telling me the ACE will have better depth penetration, and that is important to me. If I knew for sure that a BH 3300 could get down as far as a 250, I'd probably get steered towards it for the price. I'm actually willing to pay some more money, but don't want to get into a metal detector that is going to cost more because it is good at finding everything. I'm trying to narrow down to a coin hound.

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Re: Best $200 Metal Detector for Coins/Updated cap of $200-250

Hey Ricardo, not trying to change yer mind but the 3300 has amazing depth, I have dug many memorial pennies at 8 inches plus! Like I said before, I didnt put a lot of time into the Ace250 so Im not sure how it would compare as far depth goes but.............pennies at 8 plus inches is damn good in my book, especialy from a machine I bought new at just over $100! Still, get the Ace but be prepared for the ice cream cravings when you are finished hunting! lol ;D

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACE 250 - - Is this a trick question??...

I'm trying to narrow down to a coin hound.
You dont say where you expect to be a coin shooter. It definately matters. The salt beach is vastly different than the local school yard. However, for 75% of all places you are likely to take a detector while "coinhounding," the Ace 250 will do nicely. All hobby detectors, unless they very are specific to a task, are designed around coins. Most important is ease of use, balance/lightweight and reliable DISC, as the most coins are found where the most people have gone before.
People = trash.

I was using my Ace 250 just today and loving the full range notch disc and light weight. If you can do so in your soils, running it at high SENS will get you surprising depth, too - even tiring sometimes.

Too, if you decide you dont like it, re-sale is good. Id hesitate to say that about ANY BH. They'll get better, Im sure, now that both BH and Fisher are under the same umbrella. But for today, Id buy the Ace. No wait, I did. YOU need to buy one.

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
I like the ace so well that I just bought one for my wife.Should be here tomorrow or the next day.So I can't wait to get her out there an practice with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread