Accessories to buy with first detector? Must have items?

rayray3

Jan 17, 2006
Northern WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab EX2, Ace 250, Garrett pinpointer
Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
RR3,

slow down.

Get out with your detector; use a digging
tool you have for the garden for dirt, an old
strainer if your working sand, go slow.

Get to know what your doing and you will
be able to make a better decision on what
type of accessories to buy.

What I need, you may not need, and what
you like to use, I may not like to use.

have a good un..............

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good digger is a MUST.....none of those Walmart garden trowels - something that will pound through 8" of hardpack gravel......may I recommend the Lesche ;D.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
1. Kneepads (not really needed)
2. Detector cover (Not a necessity)
3. Digging knife (Must have - how else are you going to get the target?)
4. That predator shovel thing (Relic hunting yes, Coin shooting no)
5. The swingy thingy/bungee cord (Must have? Depends on your strength. I use one and love it)
6. Gloves (Not necessary and may hinder feeling for the object in the hole)
7. Apron or trashbag (Must have - where else are your going to put finds quickly?)

Another item that I consider a "must have" item is a hand-held pin-pointing device. I.E. Bullseye, Technetics, Vibraprobe, etc. It really helps you find that elusive coin in a hole instead of leaving it for the next detectorist that comes along.

You also didn't mention headphones. They will block out outside noise and extend your battery life. Just something to consider.

Hope this helps.

Cal

drver

Sep 24, 2006
Wilmington, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ditto all above suggestions.

Especially Patience!!! Man just get a good digger and see what else you would like to have.

You’d really be upset if you get a sand scoop and don’t hunt or like to hunt beaches or visa versa.

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
Batteries,Patience,and Practice,Practice,Practice.And more Patience.Good Luck and Welcome to the Hobby. :o

skeeterfyock

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2006
Texarkana Tx
Two must haves for me is my fanny pack, the one I have is a cammo one with several pockets, batteries in one, coins in another and so on.
My other much need is my garden cart. Its on wheels and the perfect highth. I cant squat very long and i dont want to sit on the ground. This also makes a perfect place to put the trash. I tried a wal-mart bag once and I was in a brushy area, and that booger snagged on everything it could.
Skeeter

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The list of equipement needed could change depending where and what type hunting. I would suggest a probe/digging knife, Lasche ( digging tool of good quality), and at least a two pocket pouch. One pocket for coins, the other for the junk your going to dig more of.

Have fun,
Sandman

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a diaper cause when you you dig that first "real old coin"'' you'll need it ;D

B

BIG61AL

List of things I always have with me.

Pin pointer - never leave home with out it
coin pouch
digger

{in my kit}
water
sun screen
hat
bug spray
first aid kit
batteries
spare coil
rain cover
knee pads - never know when it will be cold or wet
gloves

captinharry

Sep 30, 2006
Houston, Texas
Detector(s) used
Forked Stick
skeeterfyock said:
My other much need is my garden cart. Its on wheels and the perfect highth.
Skeeter

When I'm going to be a long way from the vehicle & don't know what I'll need, could use something like this. Could you post a picture or more information.

Thanks

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTT, in reply to the original poster.

I have been detecting a long time and have a whole "Possibles Bag" full of useful things. But below are the things I have found a newbie SHOULD be about:

1. Dig! You wont find anything and you wont learn what your machine is telling you or what it is doing if you don't.

2. DO NOT rely on that meter to solve your problems. There is A LOT of junk out there and plenty of it masquerades as good stuff. The best thing about Imaging is it will tell you probable size - which might be meaningless if you happen on a roman brooch that looks like a big old can lid.

3. Turn the sensitivity down to start. Dont expect to find stuff halfway to China, as most good things are within the first FOOT. SENS that is too high only results in false signals and lots of frustration. Id say start it about 7.

4. Set time limits.
A. Plan to detect for a certain amount of time, as often as possible. Like any activity, good practice makes you better.
B. DO NOT detect longer that you should - set a limit on that, too. Remember you have a job and a family and friends.

5. Set Recovery Goals. A certain coin, or artifact, a certain number of coins, etc. Then work to achieve them.

6. Carry your detector with you as much as possible. You never know when a chance to detect will come along. A nice carry bag may be useful here - or may be a nuisance.
(but dont leave it in your car - EVER!! The heat is murder on it and thieves know what they are worth, too).

7. Learn about your area and what you might actually find. It does no good to take your detector to a parking lot.

8. Talk to your friends and family about your new hobby. Ask if they know any old places, or good modern places, where lots of people have been active.

9. Plan to do all sorts of detecting. You are new and this hobby has lots to offer. Dont imagine yourself only "this sort" of detectorist or "that sort." Try it all.

10. Get a carry bag and keep these things in it:
Extra headphones.
Extra batteries
2 long Digging trowels (Lesche or Wilcox)
1 recovery apron
1 probe
1 long screwdriver. Flatten and round the end to about the size of a penny.
1 8-10" inch hunting knife
Garden gloves
Super glue and duct tape
...You can have more but youll need these.

Here's what I have in my bag:
Possibles.JPG

BONUS TIP: Determine to Have Fun."

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well said "pizza the hut" ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use gloves, from wal-mart. They are cotton knit with a rubberized palm and the inside of the fingers. Just enough padding to prevent cuts and to keep your hands dry. I have an allergy to somethng in the soil and I have also cut my finger on glass. Monty

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use gloves, from wal-mart. They are cotton knit with a rubberized palm and the inside of the fingers.
Inside the sand sifter in the upper left of the pic are similar gloves, at the ready. They are stretchy nylon, with rubberized gripping surfaces.
Gloves can be a real boon. They arent always needed, but like everything in my bag, they have been wanted at one time or another - which earns them a place in the kit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread