Best book to get on Victorio Peak?

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
mike, one day. were ya on the island at all. i was a civilian weapons repairman at ramo, loved it. i also worked at saco-lowell-maremont. i shattered my back in 73 so no branch wanted me. i was a 240lb pa state champ heavyweight lifter and when i went for my physical they put me in the 4f room. wow, was that weird.

Jimi_X

Greenie
Nov 2, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Autofull, are your statements about John Clarence meant in any way to detract from the voracity of the work he completed with the Gold House Trilogy?
To me, that work of his, is nothing short of a scholarly dissertation worthy of any textbook I had in college.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike, one day. were ya on the island at all. i was a civilian weapons repairman at ramo, loved it. i also worked at saco-lowell-maremont. i shattered my back in 73 so no branch wanted me. i was a 240lb pa state champ heavyweight lifter and when i went for my physical they put me in the 4f room. wow, was that weird.

Okay Kevin of Oz. You asked for it:

It was a hot June day at The US Navy Recruit Training Center in San Diego, Ca. I had been volunteered to run across base and do something or other for my Company Commander. I was double-timing my butt back to the company.

At this point I should say that in boot camp, all recruits are told to salute all Drill Instructors. In the Navy, DI's wear a blue braided rope around their shoulders. So, we were told to salute everyone wearing a rope.

Back to the story. As I am double-timing it across the huge grinder, I see that I am running straight towards a Marine Drill Instructor (Navy RTC is attached to MCRD Marine Corps Recruit Depot). I said "Good Morning, Sir." He smiled and replied "Good morning". I noticed he had stopped walking and was looking at me. Let me describe this Marine Drill Instructor. About my height (6'4"), maybe 220 or 240. With his "Smokey Bear Hat" pushed up high on his head, he looked about 6'7". Perfectly starched and pressed BDUs, and the man was darker than a shadow at midnight. I kept running. I looked back again, and saw the pose: spit polished boots about shoulder width, hands balled into fists on his hips........still looking at me. Now I'm sweating. No idea what I did wrong. I kept running. As I got to the edge of the grinder I heard "RECRUIT! GET BACK HERE!" I think I peed a little. I ran balls out back to him and locked up at attention.

He asked how I was taught to address a Drill Instructor. I said we used the term SIR. He said that when addressing a Marine DI, a recruit should begin and end every statement with SIR. "Sir, yes sir!" He said he'd let me go on that one since swabbies werent taught proper manners any way. Then he asked me why I felt the need to disrespect him so badly? I had no clue but......."Sir I apologize, but I dont understand how I disrespected you!" Are you in Boot Camp? Sir, yes sir. Weren't you taught to salute Drill Instructors? I explained about my "ropes" instruction. He said....."So, you are telling me that your Platoon Petty Officer was remiss in his training?" My Platoon Petty Officer (BM1 Brown) was also an instructor in BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolitions School=SEALS). He had thighs like Walter Peyton and could outrun or outswim anybody I have ever met. I next heard "Take me to your company." I peed a little more. When we got there, he addressed BM1 Brown and the Company Commander. He said that he thought it would do me a lot of good to get to work for a while with my Marine Corps Brothers. Could he borrow me for the day? Sure, why not! I peed some more.

Basically, I spent the rest of the day doing eight count body builders, good morning darlings, and holding buckets of wet sand at arms length and shoulder height, in front of a bunch of guys from his platoon. He berated both myself and the US Navy. When one of his guys snickered a little, he ran up to the kid and bit his nose so hard, he had blood running off his chin and down the front of his tshirt. I peed a bit more and made sure the buckets were straight. He left for a while, and when he got back, he dismissed his guys and gave me McDonalds. While we were running back to my company, he told me he just wanted to use me as an example for his run fallouts. "If a squid can keep up with the crap he gave me........how can YOU AS MARINES do any less? HAHAHAHAHA He turned out to be really cool.

That was my day as a Marine! Do you know what a leatherneck is? A gasket for a jarhead!

Mike

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
hi mike, kevin of oz, gee, im not sure if that is an insult or not but it bounced off .anyway i just have done alot of crazy crap in my life. two college degrees later, i became a tunnel and boring supervisor. holes up to 6 feet and as long as ya want. i built, rebuilt and test fired way to many m16,s and m60,s plus 50cal m2,s in my other two jobs. hey, how old were ya at the time of your experience mike. i wish ya would take a bit of time to phone me. i will lose your number when we are done. my wife has told me about what she saw in her marine corp years. john used to stare at he discharge papers framed on the wall in the living room. im a tough guy myself or i was in my day, never have been afraid of or intimitadated by anyone or thing but i know i could not have survived in the military brig as that is where i would have been, im an alpha. my pa dutch mom beat that into us. we were taught the john wayne rules. i will not be lied about, i will always tell the truth and i will not have a hand laid on me. i feel your the same way mike. oh, i bet your arms hurt from holding the buckets. my mom made us hold a bunch of encyclopedia brittanicas. excuse my typing, i spell very well but i have rhumatoid arthritis in my hands and i punch two keys at a time once ina while. good luck with the man dude. hate me or like me, i can only tell ya the truth. especially since john was sitting next to me for the past year and i owe him nothing and vice versa. i wish i could afford to fly ya here fer a few days. gimme a quick call mike. kevin and victoria in exeter pa.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread