best cutting tool for the trade?

ilyaz

Oct 2, 2010
Since I am cheap, I have so far managed to avoid using any type of power tool for scrapping -- other than my station wagon. However, it seems that I have to buy some type of power metal cutter. What would be the best tool for the job, in terms of price (both of the tool and blades), ease of use, versatility, and reliability? I have seen sawzall mentioned here a few times, but are there better alternatives?

I do small scale scrapping focusing on copper and aluminum. So the type of cutting I would be doing -- I think -- is cutting off copper piping, cutting open appliances, removing blades from fans of various types to get the motors etc. I will not be cutting huge amounts of steel since I am trying to stay away from scrapping it, just to get through it to other metals.

Thanks

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Advanced kit: Portable electric bandsaw, electric panelcutter, cutting torch. Panel cutter I use to rip the corners of appliances to flatten them down = more weight in my pitifully undersized trailer. handheld bandsaw cuts pipe and angle fast. Torch to split compact cars etc. in half to fit my trailer.

Knew an old gent that used to scrap cars years ago. He used to hack them in two with an axe. His DIY boom & winch wouldn't lift a whole car. Funny watching peoples expression when he would walk through Kmart with 8 or 10 axes in his shopping basket. He'd use the axe until it was completely worn or busted. He'd break the handle off & throw the head on the iron pile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread