Best digital camera? For ebay use? The up close and detail kind?

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS Minelab E-trac
Samsung galaxy or I phone. They both take great pics. Then I text the photos to my pc for upload.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple hundred, I have a samsung 5x zoom lens that is not doing the job... and no phones please I have cricket it sucks lol...

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NJ Marty

Jun 7, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Thanks but I would prefer new from amazon prime and something that can get that crisp detail..simply..
Ok cool. This cannon will prob be better than any new $200 and under camera. You want a new one on amazon, stick to the big names and go no less than your $200 budget. Nikon, Cannon.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok cool. This cannon will prob be better than any new $200 and under camera. You want a new one on amazon, stick to the big names and go no less than your $200 budget. Nikon, Cannon.
If you were selling it to me I would buy it, I just do not trust the used from strangers is all..

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my camera also sucks at taking close up shots, so i take a regular magnifying glass and place it in front of the camera lens. that way, i don't have to be too close to the object. just an idea to use while you wait for your new camera :)

here is an example....

weiss02.JPG

of course, i have to take LOTS of photos to get the photo i want :O maybe i should get a new camera ....

Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I use an old Sony Mavica digital camera (first digital camera we ever bought). This thing is so old, it actually has a 3.5 inch floppy drive to record pictures! Fortunately, it also has a memory stick. It is kind of big and clunky but it takes very good macro shots such as the one below:

DSC02221.JPG

I'll bet you could find a Mavica online for really cheap.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be sure.... you have already tried the "macro" function on your camera right? Not trying to be an ass, it's just an honest question because about 50% of the people who ask about taking close ups don't even know that the macro function exists on their camera. And it is really hard to ask that question without offending the person if they know already know what the macro function is. :thumbsup:

PS - I'm not a photography expert but I can say that getting the lighting just right is also very important. Having the right background colors and type of lighting can make or break close up shots even with a good camera.

Good luck.

Greybear

Dec 22, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes down to megapixels and having a macro setting. There are plenty of good cameras on the market. I would recommend a minimum of 8 megapixels for posting on the Internet. Take a few coins to a Best Buy and tell the sales person what you want to use the camera for and give them a test run on the coins. Also go to a camera shop and buy a cheap 18% grey card to photo the coins on. If you have a bright silver coin on a black background the contrast may be so great the the details on the coin will blow out ( be over exposed ). All cameras see everything as 18% grey aka neutral density. In the photo the card may appear white or lighter grey but the coins should show up well. You may also want a camera the will allow you to set exposure manually. Cannon and Nikon as well as others have models with this option. My Cannon has it as well as video.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice from the above posters, I would like to also add that you check your settings in your camera to make sure you are shooting your pictures in super fine quality, and not some lower quality like Fine or Average.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use an old Sony Mavica digital camera (first digital camera we ever bought). This thing is so old, it actually has a 3.5 inch floppy drive to record pictures!

I see those at yardsales every now and then. That was the only digital camera I wanted when I needed a digital but it was way out of my budget. Now I bet I could get one for $1 ;)

I ended buying a Minolta DSLR. It is good for travel and absolutly terrible for action shots(takes 2-3 seconds to think about it before it takes a shot) and bad for closeups (auto focus get confused very easy). But I make it work.

I used to be a professional photographer when I was a lot younger. I could make those cameras do anything. One of my best action shots is for sale on ebay right now in a book I helped produce when I was in Viet Nam.

Last edited:

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It comes down to megapixels and having a macro setting. There are plenty of good cameras on the market. I would recommend a minimum of 8 megapixels for posting on the Internet. Take a few coins to a Best Buy and tell the sales person what you want to use the camera for and give them a test run on the coins. Also go to a camera shop and buy a cheap 18% grey card to photo the coins on. If you have a bright silver coin on a black background the contrast may be so great the the details on the coin will blow out ( be over exposed ). All cameras see everything as 18% grey aka neutral density. In the photo the card may appear white or lighter grey but the coins should show up well. You may also want a camera the will allow you to set exposure manually. Cannon and Nikon as well as others have models with this option. My Cannon has it as well as video.

I'm not a camera expert but,
Why would more megapixels make any difference? Ebay stores photos at 1600 X 1200 (1.9 megapixel)
A 3.1 Megapixel is 2048 X 1536 which should be enough

Here is an example of a 1.9 megapixel picture from my 10 year old camera (yard sale find LOL) It's just a piece of junk jewelry
I am still learning how to use the camera but this photo came out ok
PICT0039.JPG

Last edited:

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to be sure.... you have already tried the "macro" function on your camera right? Not trying to be an ass, it's just an honest question because about 50% of the people who ask about taking close ups don't even know that the macro function exists on their camera. And it is really hard to ask that question without offending the person if they know already know what the macro function is. :thumbsup:

WOW! Im so glad I came across this thread this morning! I was thinking of getting a new camera for close ups too because mine was terrible at it. Then I read this and got curious and found a macro setting in the menu! It works great! You saved me some money. Many Thanks! :icon_thumright:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a camera expert but,
Why would more megapixels make any difference? Ebay stores photos at 1600 X 1200 (1.9 megapixel)
A 3.1 Megapixel is 2048 X 1536 which should be enough

Here is an example of a 1.9 megapixel picture from my 10 year old camera (yard sale find LOL) It's just a piece of junk jewelry
I am still learning how to use it but this photo came out ok

Exactly. In fact, when posting on the web you end up resizing an 8mp image anyway (or should). I found a 5mp Kodak at a yard sale for $5 that took excellent macro pics. I've got a couple of Canon DSLR's, so I didn't need it. Sold it on ebay for $75.

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Im so glad I came across this thread this morning! I was thinking of getting a new camera for close ups too because mine was terrible at it. Then I read this and got curious and found a macro setting in the menu! It works great! You saved me some money. Many Thanks! :icon_thumright:

No problem! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions