Best digital camera? For ebay use? The up close and detail kind?

It comes down to megapixels and having a macro setting. There are plenty of good cameras on the market. I would recommend a minimum of 8 megapixels for posting on the Internet. Take a few coins to a Best Buy and tell the sales person what you want to use the camera for and give them a test run on the coins. Also go to a camera shop and buy a cheap 18% grey card to photo the coins on. If you have a bright silver coin on a black background the contrast may be so great the the details on the coin will blow out ( be over exposed ). All cameras see everything as 18% grey aka neutral density. In the photo the card may appear white or lighter grey but the coins should show up well. You may also want a camera the will allow you to set exposure manually. Cannon and Nikon as well as others have models with this option. My Cannon has it as well as video.

Nikon P-520 18.1 Megapixel,Great Camera!

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I use an old Sony Mavica digital camera (first digital camera we ever bought). This thing is so old, it actually has a 3.5 inch floppy drive to record pictures! Fortunately, it also has a memory stick. It is kind of big and clunky but it takes very good macro shots such as the one below:

I'll bet you could find a Mavica online for really cheap.

Bingo. it's what I've used since day 1 and have no reason to change. Takes pictures plenty close, and even though the resolution is low, I still lose a little quality when uploading through ebay.... so a very high resolution camera would be fairly pointless to me. It's also very quick to use, and that's another reason I like it because I have sat down to do anywhere from 100 to near 1,000 pictures. I currently have a stock pile and plan to buy a few more because I don't plan to ever change.

A tripod and a light tent can also make a big difference in how good pictures come out
A light tent diffuses the light to eliminate glare

I also tried my son's USB microscope for closeups
came out pretty cool
picture009.jpgpicture010.jpgpicture011.jpgpicture013.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Im so glad I came across this thread this morning! I was thinking of getting a new camera for close ups too because mine was terrible at it. Then I read this and got curious and found a macro setting in the menu! It works great! You saved me some money. Many Thanks! :icon_thumright:

That was the problem here too, THANK YOU TreasurePirate!

The reason for the more megapixels is even with a macro you may not get close enough to get the fine details. The solution is you can then crop in tighter and not loose detail like you would with a lower megapixel camera. The bottom line is the is more information ( detail ) in the photo so you can get better resolution when the photo is enlarged on screen. I see a bunch of photos on here that look fine as a thumb nail but bring them up to full screen and they are so blurry you can't tell what they are.

Yep, that Macro setting will make all the difference in the world. Keep posting and good hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back