Best Female singer of all time? What say you

Very good singer. But not best female singer of all time.

Barbra Streisand.

John and Yoko did a heck of a job writing this one, though.

Barbra Streisand's voice is right up there,not her politics.
Jeanette MacDonald, Jane Froman,Jane Morgan rank pretty high also if you are as old as I am.

Too many great voices out there.

off the top of my head

Susan Tedeschi

etta james (Turn up the volume & Just listen :icon_thumleft: )

It depends on what you like to listen to for the most part.. I can name female artists in every category, well almost every category :tongue3:

Blues - Janis Joplin

Rock- A toss up between Stevie Nicks and Joan Jett
Note: I was unable to pry Mama Cass from the all you can eat buffet

Folk/pop - Karen Carpenter & Judy Collins

Alternative/pop - Lady Gaga... She may look the freak, but she has a set of pipes.

spartacus53 said:
It depends on what you like to listen to for the most part.. I can name female artists in every category, well almost every category :tongue3:

Blues - Janis Joplin

Rock- A toss up between Stevie Nicks and Joan Jett
Note: I was unable to pry Mama Cass from the all you can eat buffet

Folk/pop - Karen Carpenter & Judy Collins

Alternative/pop - Lady Gaga... She may look the freak, but she has a set of pipes.

I thought about both Stevie Nicks and Joan Jett :icon_thumleft:

Christine McVie ;D

what about Olivia Newton John, Aretha Franklin, Tina Turner, Mariah Carey, or Whitney Houston

Jeff, I had to laugh when watching Dance.. Stevie looks so happy to be a backup singer :laughing9:

Sniffer I didn't even start going into the R&B music... Interesting choices, except Olivia even though she is not a R&B singer... She is good, but too many better vocal talents ahead of her :tongue3: :tongue3:

I have enjoyed reading other people's opinions.

I notice no one mentioned Kiri Te Kanawa, Lily Pons or Ella Fitzgerald: all of whom would be high on any list I made.

Karen Carpenter: what a voice! What a loss! Such a pure, clear, clean sound! Calling Occupants, Goofus, On Top Of The World.

Judy Collins: a joy! Farewell to Tarewatha is exemplary. Listen to it, and try to think of ANY other voice that could do it a capella.

Well I can't pick just one but Celine, Patsy and Barbara are the top three IMO

Karen Carpenter #1 and Vera Lynn. There are others, that in their own style and voice quality, rate very high such as Patti Page, Patsy Cline, and Jeanette MacDonald.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back