What's new

Best find in a while

Twitch

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
2,359
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Short story - Found a nice side-notch on Friday.

Longer story - Headed out Friday morning to a creek I hadn't been to in several years. I've only found a handful of artifacts in the creek, but the ones I do find are usually exceptionally well made.... and broken. Almost everything is early archaic. Have found Dalton, Lost Lake, Decatur and an early side notch. I hunt a very small tributary that feeds into a slightly larger drainage. I hunted the small feeder and there were footprints everywhere. Was pretty certain I was in for a skunk day but I hit the larger creek anyways. Headed upstream and only found a single reduction flake. As I headed back I was walking at a pretty brisk pace and spotted what looked like a tiny piece of Burlington in the sand. Without breaking stride I used my walking stick to take a stab at the flint and out popped this beauty.

I stood there for a second trying to figure out what was wrong with it. Both basal corners are there, the tip is intact, the material is great, the form is really good.... All be, that's a nice point. I think it's a middle archaic point, haven't typed it exactly yet. Found in Madison Co IL.

Thanks for looking.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4680.webp
    IMG_4680.webp
    347.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_4681.webp
    IMG_4681.webp
    322.7 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
That's Cool! :icon_thumright:

With that curved edge on the one side, you might think that it was utilized as a knife.
 
Godar. Middle archaic. Just my guess. Gary
 
Good point, nice working!! I would lean toward knife also.
 
Great finds.Congrats
 
Really nice secondary flaking. That’s a really sweet“Best Find in a While”!!!
 
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Thanks everyone.

As as far as Big Sandy, I’m not too far outside the range but the flaking is wrong and the basal form is wrong. Also worth noting that the base isn’t ground. I still think it’s later than Cache River, Graham Cave and Big Sandy.
 
That is a fine looking Point. Being from Missouri I would think Godar as well.
I actually found it in Illinois but I'm still leaning toward Godar. That was my initial thought when I found it and haven't seen anything to move me off that yet. Not familiar with that point cluster so I'm not 100% confident but still think it's correct.
 
One more pic in hand in the creek.
 

Attachments

  • F2A5ADB7-D452-4069-AA0F-63CD2A889554.webp
    F2A5ADB7-D452-4069-AA0F-63CD2A889554.webp
    32.8 KB · Views: 79

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom