Best metal dectector is??

mickel

Feb 18, 2007
Hi guys,

There seems to be little agreement on price alone as a means of selecting a great metal dectector. What do you guys think I should spend for a dectector to find coins about 2 feet deep without too many false alarms? Please give some names and what kind of coin treasures like gold, silver, and platinum you have discovered. Maybe it costs $100 or maybe it is a $1000 plus metal dectector. What do you think works easily without false alarms?

Thanks for your reply and time. I am new at this.

Mike

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
H'mm that's a tall order, maybe a lorenze for About $4795 at kelly co...
HH
;DJohn

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
LOL, nothing is going to find a coin 2 feet deep. Maybe a pulse machine, but you are going to find every piece of metal junk along with that one coin. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are blowing smoke out thier you know what. You will be lucky to find a silver dime at 7 inches with a good ID on a TID machine. The machine may see it deeper, but you aren't going to get a good ID reading on it. Quarters, Halves and Dollars will show up a bit deeper, but again the deeper it is, the less reliable the ID is going to be. That is where experience comes into play. Air tests may see coins at deeper readings, but in the real world you'll be lucky to get half that depth when the coil hits the dirt.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I have read (reviews, articles etc.) You could also look at the MXT by Whites. It has 3 modes (coin and jewelry, Relic, and gold detecting). If your looking to go deep with it, I would also suggest the Eclipse Deepscan DD 1400 coil, which was designed for deeper targets (I doubt your going to reach any coin at 2 feet though). The detector runs about $700 and the coil is another $250. You would probably be up and running for just under $1000.

But, it also depends on what your looking for as far as targets go.

Just my 2 cents

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Did you say coins at 2 feet deep? You might be hard pressed to find many ( if any) detectors that will find a coin buried that deep.

If you are looking for a large metal object such as a strong box or other large metal object you can use a 2-box metal detector that are specifically designed to find large deep objects, such as cables, wate pipes, mineral deposits, etc...

The average depth of a coin is normally between the surface and about 6 inches. There is always the exception to the rule.

Happy Hunting ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont know of a machine that will find coins at 2 feet deep at any price.

T

treasurejack

As to your question about depth, I've done this test time and time again...dig a hole 10" deep and place a dime at a 45 degree angle in the bottom of the hole then fill the hole with dirt. I use a CZ-20 because I know my machine well and so far it's the only one straight off the shelf that's been able to read the dime nearly every time. The guys I hunt with have tried this challenge with nearly every stock machine out there and the result is always the same. But this isn't an ID machine and you really have to spend the time with it to learn how to use it. In my opinion all the bells and whistles can't compare to the actual hours spent with your machine in hand.

"Forget about the whole depth issue and simply buy a quality machine and then learn how to use it to it's fullest potential." I think just about everyone on this forum would tell you this same thing.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
2 feet deep ;D Why in the world would you want to dig 2 feet deep to find a coin! Image digging two feet and finding a memorial cent! ???

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The absolute best detector is........

One that gets used.

Too many people wind up buying something that is either to shoddy, or too complicated. Both sit in the closet out of frustration.

I'd suggest a decent middle of the road detector if you feel this is something you REALLY want to pursue. If, on the other hand, you want to try it out for awhile to see if you like it, go for the Garrett Ace 250. It seems to be the detector du jour for beginners. Decent capabilities at a modest price.

Others will say skip the cheapies and go for top of the line right away. And they have a point, why spend money only to upgrade later?

I guess it depends on your personality. Are you the type who gets bored easily? Or the type who has to have the fanciest gizmo out there? Are you patient? Do you learn quickly, or take steps one at a time?

There is no one best detector. Take a little time and check several out. The posts on this forum are a good place to start, there are many similar posts with thoughtful replies.

jeffinflint

Feb 10, 2007
I have used many different metal detectors...

I currently use an MXT most of the time, and I am more than happy with it. It's easy to use, as accurate as most, solid as a rock, very light, has many coils available and provides a wealth of information about the target. However, I do believe that the very best machine is the CZ-20. I just can't believe that Fisher stopped making them. The machine is a bit heavy, but it can be hip-mounted, and it's a bit expensive. But, when it comes to performance, I believe it puts the DFX, Explorer, or any others that I have used, to shame. I might add, I have never used the Minelab GP series detectors, Lorenz, Treasure Baron, or an OKM.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 feet deep Why in the world would you want to dig 2 feet deep to find a coin! Image digging two feet and finding a memorial cent!

Even a PI detector will be streaching it to find a coin at two feet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions