What's new

Best ones from today

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out again and it sure was fun. I found the usual things but then I found the better to. Piece of stone bowl (fresh break), Not so great Triangle and this quartz piece which was my 1st find of the day. Go ahead Mudman make my day as to what the heck it is and Im not even sure if I am holding it upside down or not. It does have a tip ding but not missing a lot. Its worked on both sides like a point , all edges are worked on the sides, Probably would of been 3 inches long if whole. I like it but what the heck is it? N GA personal finds, rock
 

Attachments

  • SDC12575.webp
    SDC12575.webp
    366.6 KB · Views: 135
  • SDC12577.webp
    SDC12577.webp
    331.4 KB · Views: 105
  • SDC12579.webp
    SDC12579.webp
    284.5 KB · Views: 114
  • SDC12580.webp
    SDC12580.webp
    292.3 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
A good day Rock.Like that quartz piece even though I have no clue what it is ,sure is big and looks to have decent work on it too.
 
I'd guess it is a Stemmed knife. The skinny end was halfted to some form of handle.
 
Hot dog dude! Great day! Big ole quartz knife or tool huh?
 
I was thinking maybe a drill but i dont recall seeing a quartz drill quito may be right, but its really nice whatever it is.the color of it really stands out.Cool little triangle also.What is the piece of bowl made of ?
 
I was thinking maybe a drill but i dont recall seeing a quartz drill quito may be right, but its really nice whatever it is.the color of it really stands out.Cool little triangle also.What is the piece of bowl made of ?

The bowl is made of Soapstone they made some silver ones, brown and green. All the stone bowls here were made before pottery was used or even thought of. Stone bowls date around 5000 b.p. in my area so it would be Archaic period. I think you are rite about it being a drill on the quartz piece. I sent some pics to 2 people I know and they said drill on it and probably Archaic period. 1 person actually said they used the quartz drills for making the soapstone pieces. I really like your knowledge and welcome your comments on anything I post. Im still learning but have learned a lot. I found the drill just up from the bowl fragment so they might of been used together in ancient times which is pretty cool in my book.
 
Here are some other finds from yesterday. These are probably Woodland period I like the flake tools.
 

Attachments

  • SDC12572.webp
    SDC12572.webp
    745.5 KB · Views: 83
That's so awesome. If I even found those flakes I'd be so happy. Heading to Maryland next Thursday to search my only decent area. Great finds, rock!
 
Some nice examples of cord marked pottery to for the pottery lovers. I only kept the 2 pieces.
 

Attachments

  • SDC12596.webp
    SDC12596.webp
    468.2 KB · Views: 80
Obsidian flakes?
 
Nice finds Rock. I especially like the soapstone piece. I am not geographically very far from some ancient soapstone quarries, but for some reason I rarely if ever find any. I would guess your large quartz piece might have been an awl. With that large end they could probably hold it comfortably and exert a strong piercing force. The large end probably prevented it from being hafted from that end, or being used in a bow drill arrangement? In truth we will never know. HH
 
Obsidian flakes?

No we have black flint here just like in my avatar the black and white which was a personal find. We also have straight black and some green and black to. Ive even found red and black which is a rare color.
 
That quarts tool is unique. cool piece. Good to see you are finding some time to get out man. Nice hunt.
 
That quarts tool is unique. cool piece. Good to see you are finding some time to get out man. Nice hunt.

Thanks its been fun in between all the walks at work. Walks starting back up next week and will probably be till the end of the year by the way they are talking. So that being said I did another hunt yesterday :)
Trying to fill me 2017 frame up while I can. I will post the others in a couple of days.
 
Rock what are the clues on that bowl that indicate a fresh break? Is it possible to post a picture of it?
 
Rock what are the clues on that bowl that indicate a fresh break? Is it possible to post a picture of it?

Well woke up at 2am this morning and have to be at work in a couple of hours so it will have to be later today and I will get some pics for you. Its fresh due to the color is different and also its grainy on that side and no polish. But yes I will have to get a new pic. Thanks for the interest on it. I have only found 3 pieces of stone bowls in all of my hunts ever. Thought it was pottery till I picked it up and felt the weight of it then I knew what it was. My best piece shows drill marks on it that dont go all the way through and its much bigger.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom