Best or only detector for finding stud earings?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friend of mine went out last week looking for a large stud earring for someone. He had his T2 and Explorer SE and he couldn't get a reading on the second earring. He told the homeowner that if anyone could find it, it would be his buddy (me). Of course I am flattered and I contact the owner of the earring. Went out today with me Deus and Compradre. Well guess, what, I couldn't get a reading know matter how I set the Deus up. The Comprare wouldn't do a thing as well.

I am fairly adept at the settings so I know that wasn't the problem, but the Deus would barely sense it and the earring would have to be oriented just a certain way and it would have to be right up against the coil. If I had the CTX today I would have tried to depend on the Audio Threshold and would have listened for the breaks, but I am unsure if the CTX would have even found it. The Garrett AT Propointer would not sense it either.

Surprisingly the owner's AT Pro would somewhat sense it if it was placed within an inch of the coil, but what surprised me over the Deus was that it would give a bouncy, but actual reading on the VID (27-41). I would say the Deus was 10% working and the AT Pro was easily 50% picking up on the stud.

My question is this, has anyone found/used a detector that would actually pick up on stud earrings well and how did it do? How far will it pick up on depth and would it give a VID?

BTW, I did find the earring, but it was an "eyeball" find. It would have been the most expensive thing I found by sight alone ($6,000 for the pair).

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Wow, that must be a pretty small earing stud if all those machines you listed couldn't find it. It's a given that a CTX or Explorer SE aren't going to get it though, since those are coin/relic machines, which simply won't find tinsel thin items, nuggets, etc...

If the earing stud is a dainty-whispy as you say, you may have to resort of a nugget machine. But be prepared that every single staple, birdshot, straight-pin, fleck, etc.... will "ring the bells of notre dame". doh!

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that must be a pretty small earing stud if all those machines you listed couldn't find it. It's a given that a CTX or Explorer SE aren't going to get it though, since those are coin/relic machines, which simply won't find tinsel thin items, nuggets, etc...

If the earing stud is a dainty-whispy as you say, you may have to resort of a nugget machine. But be prepared that every single staple, birdshot, straight-pin, fleck, etc.... will "ring the bells of notre dame". doh!

The earring was large, 3/4 of a carat, but still the mount and pin part is small. I was wondering if I need to add a dedicated nugget machine to my collection in case I run into a situation like this again. I've dug BB size pieces of aluminum and even BBs with the Deus at depth, so it surprised me that it wouldn't pick up on the earring. I think it is simple because the metal part of the earring is so thin.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did anybody have a Tesoro Compadre, Cibola, Vaquero - for you to test? A Vaquero would read it for sure as a recent drop, and probably the Compadre as well.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did anybody have a Tesoro Compadre, Cibola, Vaquero - for you to test? A Vaquero would read it for sure as a recent drop, and probably the Compadre as well.

I had my Compradre with 8" coil and it wouldn't find it. Even when I put it up against the coil with no discrimination and waved it back and forth.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've found a bunch in dry sand at the beach with my Whites Dual Surf PI machine. Some very small. But have to listen for the 'whispers'.
Not sure how it would work on land.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a gold or platinum earring, a dedicated gold machine, like a Fisher Gold Bug is your best bet at finding it. I use my White's Goldmaster VSat when I need to find a stud earring. Most nugget machines should be able to do it. My only pin pointer that will detect one is my old TinyTec, and it almost has to touch the earring before it sounds off.

OP
OP
Pointman

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it was a gold or platinum earring, a dedicated gold machine, like a Fisher Gold Bug is your best bet at finding it. I use my White's Goldmaster VSat when I need to find a stud earring. Most nugget machines should be able to do it. My only pin pointer that will detect one is my old TinyTec, and it almost has to touch the earring before it sounds off.

This was my feelings. I have a Vista Gold machine that I want to sell, but didn't think it would be a problem picking up the stud with my Deus, so I didn't bother to bring it. The Deus is pretty sensitive and I still couldn't find the earring even with it set at max frequency.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
earring.jpg

Found separately with my CTX.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I must test some of my wife's earrings. I'm sure my GBII will air test 4"-5" on even the smallest.
Stay tuned for tomorrows results.
Marvin

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am surprised the Compadre would not pick it up. I have one & have found several small silver & gold stud earrings.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats interesting, I have found several studded with my 3030; but if I would have lost a 6K ear ring then I would have certainly pulled out the 7000, over kill but just to be on the safe side.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sovereign with the W.O.T. coil has picked up Studs in lake mud.
Depth I don't remember.

I think my Explorer SE would also considering how tiny some of my Finds are , But on Fresh
test items :dontknow: I don't know.

air tests & items not given a chance to Mate with the Ground around them
are not accurate imo

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll bet an old Gold Bug would pick it up // mine will pick up a #9 shot at 2" Perry

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
This is a small , thin piece of a 10K charm at the end of the stick. My Compadre picks this up at a depth of about 2" . Air tests at about 2 1/2".

Attachments

• 10 K.jpg
    10 K.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 64

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
That's odd. Deus in 18khz has been showing me there are many staples around 3 inches by the shelters at the park...like thin T-50, single staples.

The V3i ran in srereo mixed mode pro single freq. 22khz would not miss a recent drop like that, although our ears may... even with a 12"x15" sef coil. In fact, that might be my first choice if I were in a rush.

I'd be checking my Deus against small burried balls of foil similar to the size you expect to find. Something isn't right IMHO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread