What's new

Best place to sell this?

relichunters

Bronze Member
Joined
May 4, 2008
Messages
1,647
Reaction score
36
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I have an expensive Native American artifact, Ebay won't accept it because I don't know what tribe it's from. I think craigslist is too personal and cheap, where else is there?
 
relichunters said:
I have an expensive Native American artifact, Ebay won't accept it because I don't know what tribe it's from. I think craigslist is too personal and cheap, where else is there?

Get a book of dealers who pay top dollar for specific type stuff.

"Trash or Treasure. Guide the the best buyers" is one such book.
 
:icon_scratch:

Do you have a picture :dontknow:

SS
 
Perhaps someone watching this thread could ID the tribe if the item is shown.
Just curious: You mention it's 'expensive'. Were you referring to your cost or your evaluation?
Don.....
 
You have to know what tribe it is to sell it? None of the NA artifact listings I have seen on eBay even list the tribe. All I have seen just say "Kentucky, Missouri, Texas, North Carolina" ect... Haven't seen any "Cherokee, Comanche, Navajo, Creek, Choctaw" ect...
 
It asked me for a tribe and when I didn't select one, it denied my post.
The cost is expensive as it's worth alot.

Attached is pictures, it's an effigy, the size of a real human head, weighs 50 - 60 pounds, made of pure clay from a fire pit. There is lots of finger prints and marks inside from where it was made. Scary realistic.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 430
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 428
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 440
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 422
  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 444
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 434
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    25.4 KB · Views: 439
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 433
  • 5.webp
    5.webp
    19.4 KB · Views: 423
You might try these folks, but be prepared to loose it if its something you are not supposed to have.

http://www.nmai.si.edu/
 
Has this piece been authenticated? :dontknow: That's the first step if you want to make any real money on it (or not depending). Authentication by an expert may also give a tribal attribution.
 
I keep contacting these people suggested but no one is interested. No one has asked me if it has been authenticated. Where would I go to get that?
 
Tom Davis does authentications but I don't know if he does so with that type of item. Have you called him?
 
At this moment you have a hand sculpted bust which may have been a High School art department project and can be relegated to being a door stop...on the other hand, you may truly have a rare native American relic...

Is it worth $5.00 or $5 million!

Sotheby's or any other reputable art auction house might provide authentication...in turn, they have the means and clientel to market the bust...

Besides, serious high end art collectors won't be tramping thru eBay...they will be using studio buyers, agents and auction listings as a source...
 
At this point I'd take $500 for it and get rid of it for all the trouble I am having selling it. But I will google sotheby's.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom