What's new

Best Places to Hunt Coins These Days

huntindog1

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2012
Messages
56
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok , They say the old timers got to all the good places, so now in these modern times whats left?

I have been to several old sites that had schools or churches and they have been hunted out.

I am just getting back into this sport back in the late 1980's I use to coin hunt and just going up to old houses and asking permission was a good way.
 
Be forth coming and use any connections you have. I often spend my lunch hour knocking on doors and getting permission. Just tell them who you are and what you want to do, sometimes they say no but dont let that bother you.
 
Look at the parks...Unless you are looking for older coins....you are correct the easy stuff is hunted out...So now think outside the box......Research your town......there has got to be many unhunted sites still waiting for you!
 
Beaches are a good place to go if you want to find rings!
 
The good places these days in my experience are the same as in those days. I have only been to one spot I would say was truly hunted out, here in Colorado. It's the site of a known treasure legend, and not even a pull tab, 22 bullet, aluminum foil, square nail, nothin hit. Kinda scary, but it has been searched and potholed heavily. Then again, there is a section that's pretty rough and maybe nobody gave it much thought, cause very hard to swing a detector there. Always hope, anyway.
 
Thanks guys I found a old home built in the early 1900's asked permission and got to hunt it. Found a 1901 and 1896 indiana head.
 
All of the old spots like county parks are not hunted out. Found myself over 100 silvers, large cents, 2-centers, etc, all from hard-hit parks in the last 2 years.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom