Best Ring day yet. 7 with a 14K gold ring! Elementary school hunt 2 hours 40 minutes

Nice finds. You can't sell that token, says right on it "NOT FOR SALE". Wouldn't that be ironic, getting a fine for selling a token to a prison.

Congratz on GOLD! Too bad you don't like tokens because that one is pretty cool!

Very nice 14k gold ring. Big Congrats!

tabman

Awesome gold ring! Congrats!
That's quite a bunch of can slaw too, guess I need to dig more of that, I'm still looking for a gold ring.

HAHAH!!! That's hilarious. But yes. I can sell it.
The Correctional facility no longer exists as the "Idaho Correctional Complex." It was called that in the 1970s... it's long since been renovated. I used to know it as the "Idaho State Penitentiary"... it's since been moved under new contracts, and is now the Idaho State Correctional Institution.

This is just a piece of nostalgia. The words "not for sale" on the token do not prevent a token from being sold to collectors.
Examples:
https://www.google.com/search?q="Idaho+correctional+complex"&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Cheers. :)

LOL. Obviously that was tongue in cheek, I thought you would get the humor in it. I forgot to put a smiley. :tongue3:

The prison token is way too cool. Working in Law Enforcement I often run into people who collect stuff from prisons and I have seen some very impressive collections. The one thing they all seem to be after is very rare items that would have been considered common when it was used but lost with time.

I think that token is about the coolest prison item I have ever seen. Congrats.

Thanks! I was pretty surprised with it. I actually have NO idea where I found it in the schoolyard, because I thought it was a coin. I sort-of recall a moment when I dug up what I thought was a penny, and was surprised it was a nickel (I think that was when I found this), but I only remember thinking it was odd... not where it occurred.

I might have to go back through my tokens and put together a book... maybe my grandkids someday will be interested (my oldest is only 15...gonna be a while!)

I had to google it right away because I have never seen a prison token before; turns out the web is full of them but I had never seen one in a European collection and those are the only collections I have seen.

I could not find much about it, seen the same coin selling for anything between 29 bucks to 3 bucks. It is a 5 cent coin and it is from Boise. I could not find any source at all that mentioned the year.

But I was thinking that if the "V" means 5 cents then could a convict on a chain gang have dropped that token way back in the day. I do not know if Chain Gangs still exist in the US as I have not lived there in a long time but I know back in the 70's they where a pretty big thing working on all that was city and State owned.

Is that school old enough to of had a chain gang pass through it before doing some sort of work, and if not then what was there before.

My first thought before I read online about it was some kid most likely got it from visiting someone they know in the pokey, but seriously that is far fetched because that thing is pretty old.

You got any information on it. I only ask so that I can share this stuff with the collectors I know here in Europe.

You're the ring whisperer my friend. In awe of these beauties. I hit my first soccer practice field the other day - all I found was lots and lots of can slaw, 1 clad nickel, 8 pennies, and a beat up whistle

14955t-and-motiv.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back