What's new

Finds from this past weekend including DIPA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2010
Messages
9,667
Reaction score
14,518
Golden Thread
4
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below are my finds from the DIPA event and another hunt on Monday at one of my local sites. Everything above, and including the three round balls are from DIPA. The stuff below the round balls is from a local site I hit on Monday for about 3 hours.
I hunted for 8 hours on day one of DIPA and 4 hours on day two. I started off digging a large copper right off the bat on day one and thought to myself HERE WE GO! GAME ON!! Then it got awfully quiet for me for the next couple hours. I ended up with the copper, a musketball, and an 1860 Indian Head the rest of the morning. Things picked up for me some in the afternoon when I joined a number of others hunting a small house site in one of the cornfields. I found a couple buttons and a piece of gold plated brass, possibly from a pocket watch in the morning of the second day.
 

Attachments

  • All.webp
    All.webp
    1,014.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Button.webp
    Button.webp
    543.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Coin.webp
    Coin.webp
    900.8 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 18
You did awesome steve, bet having the copper as your 1st target got the blood pumping!
 
That's good Steve. Great year IH. - first year of the Oak leaves I believe. Any ID on that copper or hunches?

Last, that button is wicked nice! I wish I could find one like that. I'm glad to hear the DIPA went well for you.

Cheers

Steve
 
Steve, Not a clue on the coppa. It's fairly thick, a lot of meat on it, but no detail. I rubbed wax on it last night and still couldn't see anything. The 1860 Indian head came from the yard. One that I found in the field was completely toasted.
 
Last edited:
Congratz on some good digs! I love the button!
 
Steve, Not a clue on the coppa. It's fairly thick, a lot of meat on it, but no detail. I rubbed wax on it last night and still couldn't see anything. The Indian head came from the yard. One that I found in the field was completely toasted.

Sounds like a 1793 flowin hair cent;) it must be! Lol
 
That's pretty good Steve. I think we all sometimes forget this is after all hunting, not gathering.
 
Great hunt Steve! Wish I could have made it to meet all you guys, but it looks like you did really well up there. Good job finding a house site in one of those fields too.
 
Great hunt Steve! Wish I could have made it to meet all you guys, but it looks like you did really well up there. Good job finding a house site in one of those fields too.
LOL I didn't find it. I don't know who was first in there. I got there after the first wave left and I hunkered down and cleaned up the scraps. It was tough to work it thoroughly because of all the cornstalks.
 
Last edited:
Congrats Steve looks like you has a few good hunts. :occasion14: I wish my brother-in-law dug a large copper like yours. Soon after lunch , on Saturday, he was ready to leave, fields are out of his realm of detecting sites. So to keep peace in the family I decided to take him away and look for other sites more suitable to his preferences. He swings a Whites MX5 and his comment to me was he felt as if he brought a BB gun to a trap shoot.
 
That's a nice little haul Steve.

Yes I tried locating a home site in the fields but saw no signs of any. But it's a huge area.

I couldn't believe we didn't run into one another at the hunt. I came to the greet a little late. My youngest boy was drawing the tickets for the raffle
 
Nice hunt there. Like the IH.
 
Congrats Steve looks like you has a few good hunts. :occasion14: I wish my brother-in-law dug a large copper like yours. Soon after lunch , on Saturday, he was ready to leave, fields are out of his realm of detecting sites. So to keep peace in the family I decided to take him away and look for other sites more suitable to his preferences. He swings a Whites MX5 and his comment to me was he felt as if he brought a BB gun to a trap shoot.

Sorry I didn't run into you. Yes the fields were tough swinging and the grass had been hunted hard in the past. It was a fun event even if the colonial targets weren't exactly jumping into our pouches.
 
That's a nice little haul Steve.

Yes I tried locating a home site in the fields but saw no signs of any. But it's a huge area.

I couldn't believe we didn't run into one another at the hunt. I came to the greet a little late. My youngest boy was drawing the tickets for the raffle

Yes I though we would run into each other. I saw your son drawing the raffle tickets. Didn't know he was yours. BTW the buttons I dug Monday (below the musket balls) came from the little patch of woods were you found that Rifleman's button at that site I took you to. I started working the place with the Deus after hitting it so hard with the F75 for so many years.
 
Cool yeah

That was a nice field you had. Yes the deus sees through the iron better.

HH Jer
 
Well done Steve. We hunted the place until after lunch time on Saturday. Me and the guys that I was with, really aren't corn field hunters, so it just was not any fun.

Glad to see that you got some good stuff!
 
LOL I didn't find it. I don't know who was first in there. I got there after the first wave left and I hunkered down and cleaned up the scraps. It was tough to work it thoroughly because of all the cornstalks.

Yep, I got to witness you first hand sniffing out the loose ends at that house site. You're getting a good handle on the Deus. It was great to meet you!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom