Best Rockhounding spots in Michigan? Got Any? Heres mine.

Rattlehead

Dec 16, 2010
Byron Center, MI
Best Rockhounding spots in Michigan? Got Any? Here's mine.

I'm taking a little trip up the coast of Lake Michigan from Grand Rapids and ending up in the Upper Peninsula west of Marquette a couple hours. I'm looking for suggested stops along the way to rockhound. If you are willing to share any good spots feel free to respond!

My favorite spot is Deer Lick Creek Park, in South Haven, MI, about an hour drive from me. It is a little known public beach with about 10 parking spaces. The beach is only about a 50 yard walk and is loaded with just about everything you can imagine. You just have to walk a bit for it. I find a ton of Petoskey Stones (yes, this far south!), they are usually embedded in other darker fossil rock and shine much better than a full petoskey. This area is also known for septarians and you can find a lot of them. I also find a ton of blue slag glass. I have tons of pictures on my blog, so feel free to check it out here: Spheremaker.com or on my facebook page: Spheremaker | Facebook

triggertreat

Sep 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Peterson park for Petoskey stones and other fossils..Its a little county park west of Northport.Ill have to try your park some day.

Upvote 0

1goldenray

Jul 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best Rockhounding spots in Michigan? Got Any? Here's mine.

I'm taking a little trip up the coast of Lake Michigan from Grand Rapids and ending up in the Upper Peninsula west of Marquette a couple hours. I'm looking for suggested stops along the way to rockhound. If you are willing to share any good spots feel free to respond!

My favorite spot is Deer Lick Creek Park, in South Haven, MI, about an hour drive from me. It is a little known public beach with about 10 parking spaces. The beach is only about a 50 yard walk and is loaded with just about everything you can imagine. You just have to walk a bit for it. I find a ton of Petoskey Stones (yes, this far south!), they are usually embedded in other darker fossil rock and shine much better than a full petoskey. This area is also known for septarians and you can find a lot of them. I also find a ton of blue slag glass. I have tons of pictures on my blog, so feel free to check it out here: Spheremaker.com or on my facebook page: Spheremaker | Facebook
I love Deerlick creek. Have you been to the beaches in Fennville?

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions