What's new

Best scoop for gravel beaches

halfstep

Full Member
Joined
May 11, 2010
Messages
135
Reaction score
71
Golden Thread
0
I live near a very popular river that has creek gravel beaches. I know a scoop won't sift out the gravel but looking for one that will dig in the gravel the easiest.
 
Upvote 0
Your probably better off wearing a mask and using a trowl to move the gravel, if you have clear visability. Otherwise, I use a Sunspot in gravel, it still isn't easy though. Need something narrow with a good point on it. Good luck.
 
if the pebble is not very large, use the scoop with larger holes, and an additional device to which you bodyboard after washing pours pebbles ....
if it is not clear, I'll link to the video
 
I use a wonder bar, curved on one end, flat and edged on the other. Great for digging in rock and gravel. You can see it in my left hand. Pick one up at any hardware store. From 5 to 10 dollars.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    141.2 KB · Views: 605
Gravel is difficult to sift through any scoop. But for pure digging power I rely on the Sunspot.
 
Sandman said:
Gravel is difficult to sift through any scoop. But for pure digging power I rely on the Sunspot.

I was hoping that the sunspot would work. There is another scoop I seen on ebay that looks a lot like the sunspot. It is designed to use a post hole digger handle. I like it because a person can use a long handle or make a short handle and change between the two quickly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINLESS-STEEL...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e59645bd9
I have also looked at the nuttall scoops. They look agressive but wish the handle was built different.

Anyone else have any ideas?
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
detectahead. in your photo do not see a pebble, I see big stones. scoop is not needed.
you need a pickaxe, a tool sold in the building and garden stores.

halfstep. grain size of pebbles? photo soil with coin for scale.
to coarse sand and gravel up to 20mm (0.8 ") I'm working scoop "evroexcavator "v.5 & bodyboard
 
The sunspot has also worked OK for myself in these types of spots w/large stones /rocks.. Sites with this type of rock are just plain hard to dig in & recover finds.. especially when the stones are hard packed..Ive got one site I found my first barber dime (in the water) at and other old jewelry that is all rock/stone like this.. Just plain hard work but worth it! If the water is clear where you are at is a plus to hand digging ..
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom