What's new

Best "season" for CRH?

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Best "season" for CRH?

To the members who have been doing this for years....

Are there certain times of the year that are better than others?

I haven't been doing this long enough to figure out what times of year are best, but so far I would hazard a guess that January and February might historically be some very lean months...

Compared to the tail end of 2009, my finds were down probably 95% from just a few months earlier. Most of March has been very lean also, although two good boxes last week brought my average up somewhat.

I assume the holidays might be a good time because people are spending their coins to buy gifts, etc. Does this mean that the rest of the year is lean or are there other times of the year in your experience that seem to be better for hunting?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

placerman said:
To the members who have been doing this for years....

Are there certain times of the year that are better than others?

I haven't been doing this long enough to figure out what times of year are best, but so far I would hazard a guess that January and February might historically be some very lean months...

Compared to the tail end of 2009, my finds were down probably 95% from just a few months earlier. Most of March has been very lean also, although two good boxes last week brought my average up somewhat.

I assume the holidays might be a good time because people are spending their coins to buy gifts, etc. Does this mean that the rest of the year is lean or are there other times of the year in your experience that seem to be better for hunting?
One full year this month for us, and your analysis appears to be good; our best months were last 1/2 August right up to my bestest week of year right after Christmas. (the wife, it just rained Silver on her last 1/2 year, literally) But Jan dropped like a rock!
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

I really can't say, been doing this over 2 years, have gotten one "good" box here with 27 silvers in it, YEE-HAW!
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

october to december by far has been the best for me
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

From my limited records it appears that July and August are the best months. With Jan and March being better than average. The worst month is November. This is based on percentage yield not on ounces.

HH,
65GT350
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

silvercop said:
october to december by far has been the best for me
Best to just quit now and wait for Oct to roll around again. Seriously the best season is NOW before we get to a cashless society. HH Mark
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

Given the number of members of this forum who are also MDers (metal detectors) by their own admission the tend to only CRH in the cold months, when the ground is hard and/or snow covered.

Based on that, you may have less "internal" competition in the Spring, Summer and Fall.
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

I've been CRHing for 16 months. During that time I've had months where I just did road trips, months where I've searched boxes only,and months where I've done a combination of both.
There is no special month in my limited experience where you are going to find more or less silver. It's just plain old luck of the draw.
My best month was doing road trips only, and like others have mentioned it was in August. My second best month was a December where I did boxes only. I doubled the previous December. April, May, and June were my worst months. I've had single days where I exceeded those months totals.
At my dump banks the tellers tell me that people are dumping coin in record numbers during this past year.
None of these dumpers are CRHers.So there is a lot of coin entering the system.


In my opinion there is no best season for CRHing
HH
Rich
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

I've been searching and keep records for about 10 years and I see no difference long-term in what time of the year you search. Like Rich said, the last few years (especially 2009) had so much accumulated coin entering the banking system that it is throwing off everything. Look at the 2009 coin mintages and how low they are.

Plus the other thing is that even if older coins or silver coins are dumped into a machine in say, December, in order for the dumper to have Christmas spending money, they may not actually get bagged, boxed and then reissued for months. Now if you're doing SOLELY road trips then the averages may actually show differently, and could favor certain times.

Mainly it is luck and volume, which has been stated over and over on this forum.
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

DrDetector said:
I've been searching and keep records for about 10 years and I see no difference long-term in what time of the year you search. Like Rich said, the last few years (especially 2009) had so much accumulated coin entering the banking system that it is throwing off everything. Look at the 2009 coin mintages and how low they are.

Plus the other thing is that even if older coins or silver coins are dumped into a machine in say, December, in order for the dumper to have Christmas spending money, they may not actually get bagged, boxed and then reissued for months. Now if you're doing SOLELY road trips then the averages may actually show differently, and could favor certain times.

Mainly it is luck and volume, which has been stated over and over on this forum.

We have received Boxes in Feb & Mar of this year that were stamped with March 09 on them then the very next week received Boxes stamped the week before, ALL of them had some Silver not much but some. And a batch with only 4173 on them that had not seen stamped on them since summer of 09 .

And yes Rich have had several Tellers tell me alot more people have been turning in Coins for cash as you said- but other tellers also have said there are alot of folk asking daily for halves too, and have had Boxes with as many as 20 diff CRH'ers marks on them in Box too, oddly with Silver in them too of course Silver volume is way down too.
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

I would say right around the time of big spending holidays. Christmas, Thanksgiving and such.

Golden Silver
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

In my so far limited time doing this my totals (percentage silver) are

Oct 2009 0.1%
Nov 2009 1.3%
Dec 2009 0.4%
Jan 2010 0.1%
Feb 2010 0.2%
Mar 2010 0.7%
 
Re: Best "season" for CRH?

obediah said:
placerman said:
To the members who have been doing this for years....

Are there certain times of the year that are better than others?

I haven't been doing this long enough to figure out what times of year are best, but so far I would hazard a guess that January and February might historically be some very lean months...

Compared to the tail end of 2009, my finds were down probably 95% from just a few months earlier. Most of March has been very lean also, although two good boxes last week brought my average up somewhat.

I assume the holidays might be a good time because people are spending their coins to buy gifts, etc. Does this mean that the rest of the year is lean or are there other times of the year in your experience that seem to be better for hunting?
One full year this month for us, and your analysis appears to be good; our best months were last 1/2 August right up to my bestest week of year right after Christmas. (the wife, it just rained Silver on her last 1/2 year, literally) But Jan dropped like a rock!
I feel like the best time would be right b4 christmas, people needing money to buy gifts and such.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom