What's new

Best time to be into CRH?

klava

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2007
Messages
432
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
I was thinking about life, the weather, and the economy LOL

Anyway I would think that we may just be in the best time for CRH in years. My reasoning for this is the economy is hard. And living in a small town with no industry I and my friends and family feel it. So on that basis I would think if there is ever a good time for people to spend old coins or break open proof sets to buy food or anything they might need that it would be now.

I can think a few years back after losing my job and living paycheck to paycheck anyway I spent some of my silver:-( coins on bread and bologna. Looking back I wish I hadnt but I had to eat. I have to think, though it is sad to think it, that right now is the best time to be searching.

Anyway thoughts?

-K
 
Upvote 0
You could be onto something where you live. Certainly smaller towns have been hit harder by the economy and lay offs than the big ones have. Where I live, there are over 3000 banks within 30 minutes. There are at least that many CRHers working them over pretty hard. I have found it necessary to get out of town to avoid the CRH pressure. Tellers around here are getting sick of being asked for halves.

Wouldn't you have loved to spend your youth collecting silver. Cheers and good hunting, Jim
 
I think you are right, this is maybe the best time to be a CRHer. As more money goes into the gas tank and for home heating, there is less to spend at the local store, so it's time to dig through all of the change around the house and cash it in.

One other factor is that the ones who originally hoarded the silver coins in the mid-60's are now 40+ years older. They may need to dig into the stash they put away oh so many years ago just to pay medical bills. Many will probably just run the coins right to the bank instead of trying to sell them. They may think they are only worth face value.

Just think of how many silver coins are still out there. For those who are drawing a lot of skunks boxes lately, you may have to wait a year or two for the supply to pick back up.

I honestly hope the price of silver does not go any higher. The last thing we need is everyone and their brother getting into silver hunting. Right now there is enough competition as it is.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (Mich)
 
Interesting......good points!
 
coolpix9 said:
Where I live, there are over 3000 banks within 30 minutes.

WOW! :o Are you serious or is that a typo?

I wish I had gotten into CRH 20 or 30 years ago! LOL
 
You are on to something ! Back in the early 80's I was out of a job, & had to sell my Highschool class ring ( made of White Gold ) & some guns I had just to pay some bills. Same thing applies to coin collections. Ron
 
The problem with that theory is that if someone hoarded silver coins, they did it because they knew they were different and worth over face value. Go to any old coin shop and you're sure to get at least 9x face value on the 90% silver coins. I doubt much of all that hoarded silver would end up just simply being deposited. The only way that would happen is if you only had a small quantity of them and didn't want to bother finding a coin shop or selling it online. Also though if you inherited coins and didn't personally hoard them, THEN I could see them being deposited for face at a bank. Franklin halves for instance aren't even that old, if someone really needed money and had a hoard their father gave to them after he passed, I could see a person ignorant of the silver value to deposit it. However first-hand hoarders I doubt would simply deposit it. Would any of you deposit your silver stash for face value?
 
I think it is more likely that as people with collection's pass away whoever inherits the collection may be unaware of the value and cash it in.

Although I did have a teller the other day say some older lady cashed in a few Peace and Morgan dollars at face value even though the teller had said they were worth more than $1. She said she felt bad taking them, but the lady said "oh I have bunch more at home".

I left my name and number in case she comes back so the teller can pass on my information to her in case she is interested in selling rather than cashing in at face value. :) Got the impression she just didn't want the hassle of finding someone who'd pay more than face. We'll see if I ever get a call.
 
When I made the inital post I was thinking more along the lines of regular people not hoarders. Most everyone i know has atleast a hanful of old coins put back. Silver and not silver. It is easily feasable that some people may have to resort to cashing these in or buying stuff from the grocery with them. If you have a few silver dimes a few silver quarters and some buffalo nickels and you are broke and your kid needs food odds are you aarent gonna drive around town wasting gas to sell them at a coin shop. Plus if you take into account my area I dotn even know where a coin shop is. probably in the tri cities and hour and a half away.

Anyway its good to see everyones perspective. i hope we all have killer years!

-K
 
LOL yeah Im from the country to. What part of east ten are you in? I am don in Johnson City and Kingsport atleast once a month.
 
lejeuene said:
Interesting......good points!

Beyond just plain gumption on LJ's part, ecomonic hardship after the hurricanes has been brought up for the great boxes and banks in the Big Easy. Seems that it really hasn't slowed down there yet though, so maybe not.

Food for thought.

HH.
 
klava said:
LOL yeah Im from the country to. What part of east ten are you in? I am don in Johnson City and Kingsport atleast once a month.

I am near Greeneville. I hope you are not down here poaching! You need to stay north of the state line CRHing! LOL Just joking! ;D
 
LOL I just got into CRH so no I havent been there. I have family and friends all through SW Va so i figure I have a long way to go an alot of banks to hit before I ever have to head that way lol

-K
 
You may be onto something here. I just went through $1,000 in halves (2 boxes) in the last two days. All were Brinks rolled. I pulled 7 proofs out of those two boxes including (1) 1992s silver not to mention the 40% and 90% halves that I found too. That more than doubled my proofs that I had found previously and that was after going through 20,000 halves! Needless to say I was pretty happy with finding that many proofs in two boxes.
 
when is the best time to plant a tree,,,,,,,,,,20 years ago ...........2nd best time now,,,,,,,,,,,,,thats the way i look at it
 
Re: you are right ,it was a typo

sneak said:
coolpix9 said:
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLF,GGLF:2003-47,GGLF:en&q=texas


there are 9,827 banks in Dallas County alone. If I widened the search to include Ft.Worth, the number would be staggering.

That is a lot of banks! :o Can you tell I am from the country? LOL

I just did some digging, and the SMALLEST number of banks I could find that I could easily get to within a half hour from where I am right now, is close to 11,000. Doesn't surprise me. LOTS of places to pick up some silver.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom