Best Tip I've heard in 49 years of metal detecting.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably the best metal detecting tip I've heard in my 49 years of hunting came from the late Charles Garrett when he said that you need to put 100 hours on your detector before you can really understand its capabilities. Truer words have never been spoken. Too many people, who are just starting out in this amazing hobby, allow others to talk trash about their "beginner detectors" and take their unwise advise to move up to a "deeper, better, or more expensive" metal detector before they've used the one they have for even 10 hours or less. I bought a Garrett Ace 250 several years ago but only this year decided to give it a real workout and learn what it could do. So I've let my more expensive detectors collect dust for the past few months and have used the 250 exclusively. Yesterday, I logged my 105th hour on that little detector and it has performed amazingly well. I regularly hunt with guys who use detectors that cost at least 3 times and as much as 10 times the cost of my Ace 250 and I usually come out with the best finds of the day. Let the other guys sit around at the coffee shop, bragging about their expensive detectors, while you get out in the field with yours and make some truly remarkable discoveries. Above all, have fun!
~Texas Jay

Central Texas Treasure Club

Upvote 12

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the best tip I’ve ever heard and has gotten me more gold and jewelry than ever b4, is from the best treasure hunter around...Mr. Gary Drayton. “Nobody ever gets it all..The gold is there you just have to slow down and be methodical on your hunts” after reading and watching his videos I’m able to find more goodies on each hunt.
Drayton = biggest bull around IMHO.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to see the video of him saying “only Minelabs can find gold”. Upload the video and post it. If he said exactly that I’m sure it’s not what he meant maybe in other words he meant that they are better with multi frequency not in so many words. Some people wanna bash others the minute they make a mistake or could be wrong about one instance. Does that make him a liar or a terrible treasure hunter? Hardly! Far better than most I’m sure. Also I’m talking about his beach hunting knowledge to begin with and how his techniques are explained in his books, videos and seminars. What books or videos have you published?? Your just bashing someone who’s highly respected in the field and very knowledgeable it’s ok you don’t measure up yet and that’s prob why you have to bash. Keep swinging your 250 and stop disrespecting a highly respected treasure hunter! He’s got far more yrs of swinging experience than you I’m sure.

You can find the episode on history.com if you really want to find it. I have been metal detecting for 49 years so, once again, you're "sure" about something you know nothing about. I started collecting coins a few years before that so I know the difference between a non-existent "Confederate coin" and a U.S. nickel. Gary Drayton doesn't have near that amount of time in this hobby. I appeared as a guest on "America Unearthed: Lincoln's Secret Assassins" so I know something about how they mislead people in order to promote an agenda that's contrary to the truth.
~Texas Jay

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
LMAO...AT Max a better machine...thats hilarious.

Staffydog...I just recently got an AT Max...So Far Its Exceeded All of My Expectations...Starting In The First Two Minutes of Powering It On. My First Garrett.

I'd sincerely like to hear the reasons for your comments to A2...Your profile says your 'Saving' For An Equinox 800' and You Don't List Owning ANY Garrett Detectors. Only the Chinese Deteknix...That reads like you don't have either brand. Is that right? Or am I reading that wrong?

I'm just curious how and why you've come to your conclusions?

Do you have a Staffordshire? I Love My Rocco! They Are Great Dogs...He also detects with me...For Paper Money..He found his first $100 dollar bill in the back yard...Of course you can't leave any cash out in the house where he can get to it because he won't give it up unless you trade him a cookie treat for it..lol!

Thanks Staffy,

Kace

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
If he was a such a bull I guess all 7 books he’s published are bullshit too? What book have you published lately?After reading his books and using his techniques I went out and found a 22k 17g honker of a ring. Check it out in my banner find. You think he’s such a joke and a bull why is he famous and you’re not. Hmmmmm exactly. Keep on bashing your fellow treasure hunter if it makes you feel better than him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta get the coil over the target first, no matter what detector you swing or how long you've been swinging it.:icon_thumleft:

I agree. Being from New England we have places in my town that date to the 1600’s. If you are ok with a computer and have a hand held gps to get you out of the deep woods then your gonna find stuff. Ace 250 or whatever. I have been to sites that i am sure have never been hit because you have to have a screw loose to travel to them :)

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Getting your coil over the target is one thing but knowing where and how to swing is another.

Mdpartner

Sep 8, 2018
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually the more complicated the detector the more time it takes to get used to. It took me a year and a lot of reading books to really understand my XLT.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
This hobby is all about patience, If you don’t have the time or don’t want to put in the time learning it don’t buy it. Or if you don’t understand the higher end machines then stick with an easy beginners model Simple as that.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I found the video of Gary Drayton for Oak Island discussing minelab detectors. He states nothing to the fact that only “Minelabs” can find gold! He only explains the reason he uses the Minelabs because they work so well in highly mineralized areas where lots of hot rocks can give false signals and other detectors can struggle. Seems to me he made a genuine statement. So unless you can upload this video you claim he states only Minelabs can find gold I think your the one that’s full of ****, cause I’ve looked and that’s the only video I’ve found.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he was a such a bullshitter I guess all 7 books he’s published are bullshit too? What book have you published lately?After reading his books and using his techniques I went out and found a 22k 17g honker of a ring. Check it out in my banner find. You think he’s such a joke and a bullshitter why is he famous and you’re not. Hmmmmm exactly. Keep on bashing your fellow treasure hunter if it makes you feel better than him.

The best treasure hunters spend their spare time actually treasure hunting, not writing books to sell. They also don't give 2 cents about becoming famous and they won't trade their integrity for the chance to increase their fame by appearing on every deceitful television show that comes along and makes them an offer. Sometimes "Silence is golden" when it comes to treasure hunting success. I never claimed to be "famous" and have no desire to be but if I do, it will be because of actual treasure discoveries I've made and not from writing books or appearing on dishonest tv shows.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the video of Gary Drayton for Oak Island discussing minelab detectors. He states nothing to the fact that only “Minelabs” can find gold! He only explains the reason he uses the Minelabs because they work so well in highly mineralized areas where lots of hot rocks can give false signals and other detectors can struggle. Seems to me he made a genuine statement. So unless you can upload this video you claim he states only Minelabs can find gold I think your the one that’s full of ****, cause I’ve looked and that’s the only video I’ve found.

Maybe that's because you were not looking under the right series. The episode I'm referring to is on "The Curse of Civil War Gold" when they are searching the area where C.S.A. President Jefferson Davis was captured. That's also where a U.S. nickel was misidentified as being a "Confederate coin" by Gary Drayton.
~Texas Jay

OZARKS

Banned
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, AT PRO, Fisher F44,F2, F5, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best treasure hunters spend their spare time actually treasure hunting, not writing books to sell
~Texas Jay

You know how the old saying goes... Those who know how to metal detect, do... those who don't, write about it... I don't buy his BS either, but you can't tell some of these folks anything, they know it all... thought you knew?

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he was a such a bullshitter I guess all 7 books he’s published are bullshit too? What book have you published lately?After reading his books and using his techniques I went out and found a 22k 17g honker of a ring. Check it out in my banner find. You think he’s such a joke and a bullshitter why is he famous and you’re not. Hmmmmm exactly. Keep on bashing your fellow treasure hunter if it makes you feel better than him.
How come there aint one single video on the net of him actually doing a beach hunt?

Matt.

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How come there aint one single video on the net of him actually doing a beach hunt?

Matt.
I'm entitled to my opinion and until i see a video like the people on youtube doing a genuine beach hunt, I will stand by my right to have an opinion and that is...he's full of bologny.

Matt.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1539013022.065745.jpg

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
There are many videos of him showing his beach hunting skills. And many videos of him demonstrating techniques and giving tips for detectors and hunting methods. If you need more then subscribe to his YouTube channel and you will find lots. Just because you don’t see the surgeon actually operating on your heart does that make him a fake surgeon? Judge the man all you want. His knowledge and experience helps has helped others become better hunters all over because of his passion and humbleness towards the hobby. To call this man a phoney or a liar is just sad and it’s too bad that so many people in this world are so negative towards others abilities. Wish you all the best in your future finds.

Ol' Kentuck

Jun 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
You know how the old saying goes... Those who know how to metal detect, do... those who don't, write about it... I don't buy his BS either, but you can't tell some of these folks anything, they know it all... thought you knew?

Thats hilarious, since writin 'bout it is exactly what the OP was doin in tha first place by startin this thread. :laughing7:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Nothing wrong with sharing your skills and knowledge to the world. Others see him as threat and a guy who doesn’t know what he’s teaching or anything about treasure hunting. To each is own. Funny how most people who complain and talk bad about a person they hardly know,..those are the ones that have the most to say. Sad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread