What's new

Best way to clean aluminum token?

Nicksan

Full Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2005
Messages
169
Reaction score
126
Golden Thread
0
Location
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive got an aluminum token that I would like to clean. I have tried baking soda and electrolysis with limited success. Any other methods without damaging the aluminum?
It has some dark gunk on it and slight oxidation.

Thanks.
 
I've used a brass, (yes brass) brush with some good results. Buy them at any hardware store. Just make sure that you lightly, and I mean lightly brush them. Like you are brushing your teeth. I usually clean the tokens this way, under running water. Good luck.
 
interesting....
i've got a piece of laminate with various size holes for coins, tokens to sit in. this allows eraser or brush cleaning without doing the finger tips...ha ha!
never thought of the brass brush lightly on aluminum and the running water must show your progress. thanks for this tip. will give it a try.

mike
 
I use a rock tumbler with sand,aquarium rock, and two drops of dish soap.
Tumble for an hour an check. Depending how much crud is on them they
usually come out good.
 
Rock tumbler works great! It's the only way to go, follow Novaman's ingredients! If the aluminum token has any "bubbles" on it those will turn into holes if you tumble it to long so keep an eye on it.
 
I have had excellent luck using a brass dremel brush on a dremel tool with a variable speed.
It will take the crud off and clean the token at the same time. Use a minor amount of force and proceed lightly until you figure out how much pressure you can exert. Generally is you don't push hard you won't scratch your aluminum.
 
I usually start with a brass brush and tooth paste. Lighylt brush then run under water.
That usually gets off most of the crud.
Scott
 
curbdiggercarl57 said:
I've used a brass, (yes brass) brush with some good results. Buy them at any hardware store. Just make sure that you lightly, and I mean lightly brush them. Like you are brushing your teeth. I usually clean the tokens this way, under running water. Good luck.
I too have used brass brushes,you don't want a firm BRUSH,there is various thinness&firmness to brass brushs...you want a thinner brass wire brush&brush softly,as mentioned w/dremel tool,etc....HH ALL!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom