best way to hunt....

serb535

Sep 10, 2004
cleveland ohio
Detector(s) used
whites prizm III
will be hunting a civil war encampment this weekend, and was wondering what was the best way to hunt? should i hunt in all metal or disc. iron? this is my first hunt here so not sure best way to go after...the site has been graded, (smooth) and no dirt brought in. they'll be building condos on this site over the summer so i want to hunt it now. i demo crew that tore down the existing buildings said they found coins laying on top of the ground after they graded it, i walk around and only found some old bottles and what not, which was still cool. but i was "working " so i didn't have much time or my detector. the site is called "camp Cleveland" and was a mustering site for 15000 troops before going on to the big show..camp was in service from 1861 to 1865. it served as mustering place for NE Ohio..any help would be appreciated. thanks Serb

Upvote 0
You don't say whether you're going to get more than one chance at this site but if so then the lesser the disc. the better. Otherwise I'd run at about #6 on the disc. the 1st time and lesser on the other searches. It sound like the key is that rebuilding starts this summer which gives you a fair window of opportunity. Too it depends on the size of the site. In any case, Best of Luck and HH. Sounds like a very cool place to hunt and I hope you can make the best of it. 8)

we're going to try and hit this site as many times as possible, but its not in the best part of town and hunting evenings is not somthing i'm going to try! and during the day when they start building i dont think we can get in, plus we have to work. i'm doing some side work for the const owner so that should help get us on/in to more sites. this site is about a 1/2 block in size. should i run a smaller coil or go witht he 10 i guess wait and see how much trash is there....well hunt is tomorrow! i can't what, hey dudes dont forget x-tra bats!! serb

If I was there, I'd run the 10" 1st and see what trash there might be. Yoy didn't say how much was graded off so there's probably a minimum of trash other than possible copper water lines may still be around. I'd also grid it if possible using flags, string, whatever handy. Listen also for the faint sounds that might come through, In any case, best of luck and HH to y'all.

well not much luck at this site, there was so much trash there that it was very hard to hunt. but we still had great time ended up hunt the tree lawns then moved on to a local park. my friend rich using his minlab had the best luck finding 3 silver s and 2 buffalo nickels. he was digging only deep targets, i found a 1942 merc and two wheat's in the same hole. i gave it to my bro-in-law as he does not have any in his collection, we shared my detector and he had a blast. dudes found a few good targets and was fun to watch him work the same hole for 20 Min's ended up with 60 cents out of it! fern had some luck finding a nice pendant from local church dedication dated 1929. anyway back to the civil war encampment, i think there has been so much activity and houses on this location that finds were scarce, but a nice skeleton key was found, some clad and dudes silver pendant (see todays finds) and a bowling ball, which my bro-i-law kept? i guess he thought it was cool. this was his first time on a real hunt and not just digging in our yard. we had a great time and are looking forward to hunting again together........Serb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back