Dig-MV

Aug 26, 2014
Martha’s Vineyard
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Live near Boston and have a nice old American coin I would like to sell. Was wondering what would be the best way to have the coin authenticated without sending it out anywhere. Has anyone had any luck with coin brokers. Also I’m interested in coin auctions and what your experience has been. The coin is a 1906/7 draped bust comet with blunt one. But it’s dug so I’m interested in hearing people’s stories thanks for your time.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would post good photos of the front and back of coin here -the coin gurus here can give you a general idea of grade/worth.

I ebayed my 1921 d mercury dime, dug but in nice shape. Used high rez pics so bidders could see every detail, and did well.

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
You’d probably get more replies if you went ahead and posted the pictures here. Instead of us having to search the former post.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grading services consider dug coins environmentally damaged need to see a pic

OP
OP
Dig-MV

Dig-MV

Aug 26, 2014
Martha’s Vineyard
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m confused on how pictures of my coin would have any affect on your past experience selling dug coins? I’m not asking if I should sell it only asking how people have gone about it in the past.

OP
OP
Dig-MV

Dig-MV

Aug 26, 2014
Martha’s Vineyard
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was hoping I could get it looked at by someone with credentials that could verify it for future sales without sending it out and getting the environmental damage slab

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your coin would likely sell well on eBay. Look there for completed/sold coins with the same date and see what they are going for. Then take 40% to 60% off that if you arent going to get it slabbed. That 40-60% is taking into consideration you arent going to have it graded plus it is a dug coin.

My friend dug a super nice 1785 Vermonts state copper last year. If it was undug and went to auction, 20,000 to 30,000 is its estimated value. Since it is dug, $2500 if hes lucky.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/608672-1785-vermontis-2.html
My advice, save the coin selling for dug silver coins. Youre more likely to get one graded without the environmental damage grade and your sale price with be most comparable to market prices.

Heres the link to your original post for the people wantimg pictures.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/627161-1807-comet-draped-bust.html

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread