Better pic coin/slug? Help please!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Not sure what this is, But it seems pretty old. At first when I popped it out of the ground I thought it was a large cent, but then when I started cleaning it off, I thought it was a button. My best guess at the moment is some kind of token. It has a ring stamped around the edge and square shaped stamp on close to the ring with one or two letters, the first of which appears to be an "S" (If you look at it with the stamp toward the top). The opposite side has nothing on it. It's slightly larger than a quarter in diameter, but much thinner. Aw geesh! I can't seem to get a good pic. Let me see if I can get one better. The second pic is at a little bit of an angle.

Attachments

• DSC02019.JPG
    DSC02019.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 350
  • coinslug better.JPG
    coinslug better.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 333
T

TreasureTales

Sorry, but I can't see anything on it. Odd shape for a token, isn't it? Strange, but intriguing!

Upvote 0

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't make out anything?

If it's a copper penny or other coin, looks like it was whacked good with a ballpin hammer. ;D

Upvote 0

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can see it what appears to be an "L." at 9 or 10 o'clock in teh second pic....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Skrimpy

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
At 12:00 is the stamp. Sometimes I look at it and it looks like just an "S". Sometimes it looks like an "S" fllowed by another letter. I will draw in an arrow with microsoft paint.

Attachments

• coinslug better edit.JPG
    coinslug better edit.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the new kid on the block here and I don't know if anyone has suggested it yet but a good and safe way to clean those "crusties" is to let them soak in a jar lid of olive oil. You must be patient though. It usually takes DAYS! Then use a fingernail brush under running water. I learned this trick when I bought some ancient coins on ebay and they came with that tip.
Anyway, love this site and I will help anyone I can.
Scott

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread