Beware of Merrell boots, they have poor quality rubber.

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a Garrett Axiom pulse induction detector often with a large coil. I quickly learned that I needed non-metallic boots when using the Axiom. Non-metallic boots are common in the electric power industry (electrical hazard, EH rated) where I've worked in the past. I purchased (~$183) some very nice Merrell Moab Vertex non-metallic mid-height hiking boots. After only about 10 miles of Arizona desert hiking I noticed that pieces of the sole were tearing and beginning to fall off. A few more detector outings and the rubber at the boot front guarding the toe was also tearing, de-laminating and the toe fabric had worn through.
A little research at the Merrell website shows that their corporate policy is to now use recycled materials where possible in their footwear in order to be eco-friendly and support sustainability. I guess their design and quality control engineering staff didn't pay attention in the Strength of Materials course during college. The rubber Merrell is now using has very poor shear and tear strength. I am now coating the front of my boots with Shoe-Goo which is a shoe repair glue product. Hopefully I can get a few more months out of the toes before the boot soles totally fail.
By the way. If you are searching for non-metallic non-conductive boots be sure to test them with your pin-pointer. Some non-conductive EH rated boots still have metal in them.
I will never again purchase boots without assessing the materials strength of the rubber. Can anyone recommend a durable non-metallic hiking boot? Ed, Tucson, AZ.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the whole sole come off with a brand new pair of Merrell boots the whole sole came off 10 miles in on a hike last year. I now use Danner they are the best boot I have ever worn.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had the whole sole come of with a brand new pair of Merrell boots the whole sole came off 10 miles in on a hike last year. I now use Danner they are the best boot I have ever worn.
It would be a return to sender.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be a return to sender.
Yeah, 2 cases of hiking boots falling apart within 10 miles? They would have gone back right then.

IANAL, but it sounds like breach of implied warranty of merchantability; maybe a class-action?

By the way. If you are searching for non-metallic non-conductive boots be sure to test them with your pin-pointer. Some non-conductive EH rated boots still have metal in them.
Sounds like good advice. 👍🏻
I will never again purchase boots without assessing the materials strength of the rubber.
How, exactly, would one do that, especially in a store or online? :icon_scratch:

Centsless Detecting

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2017
Milwaukee WI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
-Minelab Equinox 800 with 11" and 6" coils - Garett ACE 250 - Garett AT Pinpointer-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a bummer. I picked up a pair barley used ones at goodwill for $10. They lasted me a whole season of park detecting before I used them at work. Then oil and grease got the best of them in a few months. They were comfortable and lightweight.

Yell-X

Jun 27, 2018
St. Petersburg
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that some of you have had issues with Merrell boots but my experiences have been positive over the years with the product. In fact, I have had very good luck with Merrell boots for decades.

I buy a the waterproof Moabs with Vibram soles. I am in my boots 50 plus hours a week. About once a year I buy a new pair, get new insoles from Happy feet and down grade my old pair.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird I wear Merrell hiking boots every single day all day long. Each pair last 8 or so months. This is through metal detecting, and working a blue collar job, gardening, hiking, and so on.

rayoh

Jan 13, 2017
northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Garrett Axiom pulse induction detector often with a large coil. I quickly learned that I needed non-metallic boots when using the Axiom. Non-metallic boots are common in the electric power industry (electrical hazard, EH rated) where I've worked in the past. I purchased (~$183) some very nice Merrell Moab Vertex non-metallic mid-height hiking boots. After only about 10 miles of Arizona desert hiking I noticed that pieces of the sole were tearing and beginning to fall off. A few more detector outings and the rubber at the boot front guarding the toe was also tearing, de-laminating and the toe fabric had worn through.
A little research at the Merrell website shows that their corporate policy is to now use recycled materials where possible in their footwear in order to be eco-friendly and support sustainability. I guess their design and quality control engineering staff didn't pay attention in the Strength of Materials course during college. The rubber Merrell is now using has very poor shear and tear strength. I am now coating the front of my boots with Shoe-Goo which is a shoe repair glue product. Hopefully I can get a few more months out of the toes before the boot soles totally fail.
I will never again purchase boots without assessing the materials strength of the rubber. Can anyone recommend a durable non-metallic hiking boot? Ed, Tucson, AZ.
Merrell use to make the best hiking boots and casual shoes. Somewhere around 10-12 years ago, the quality bit the dust. Unfortunately, the price went up when the quality went down. My last leather Merrell hikers lost a sole after less than a year of limited use.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore.....
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once spent several hours chasing phantom signals before realizing it was my steel toe work boots.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once spent several hours chasing phantom signals before realizing it was my steel toe work boots.
I've been doing similar of late. I tend to sit next to the hole rather than kneeling or squatting. This has resulted in my pinpointer chasing my keys or whatever else is in my pockets or on my person. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions