Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My Intrigue With...Jean Lafitte!

Beyond Oak Island...Season 1...Episode 1...tells the tale of Jean Lafitte.

Jean Lafitte Pirate.jpg

I first heard the story of Jean Laffite 35 years ago while I was living in the port town of Progreso in the Yucatan Peninsula.

I had family connections within the Mexican Government and was studying Archaeology of the ancient Maya, more precisely ancient Mayan Cenotes (wells) and the ritual of the Maya of tossing in gold for the appeasement to their Gods.

The American mid-19th century John Stephens had dredged the Cenote at Chichen Itza and at that time recovered $2 million in gold and this find became foremost in my mind.

I had located other isolated Cenotes and wished to treasure hunt the same. (another story).

My Brother-in-law was acting Secretary for the Mexican Government in the Yucatan State, and he arranged the loan of their helicopter to research the Gulf of Mexico from Merida up to Rio la Gatos.

We set down in between at the small village of Dzilam De Bravo where I heard the most interesting tale of Jean Laffite.

The Mayan history is not recorded by writing but by word of mouth…and to this day is very accurate!

It was here at a grave that the locals told me the story that in the early 1800's Jean had arrived by ship, deathly ill, seeking help.

I was told by the old ones that he was sick and was trying to get to Merida for medical help but died on route.

It was stated that Jean died at Dzilam De Bravo and was buried there.

The locals were proud to show me where his grave was located. (since destroyed by Hurricane Gilbert)

It was always curious to me why Lafitte chose this location and what was he doing in this remote part of the world?

The best I could surmise was he was driven out of America once his usefulness was achieved and was searching for a location to conceal his treasure still close to his American homeland.

At Progreso, I inquired from the locals about a secret island of sand, just out 17 kilometers from Progreso, where when fisherman did risk going there, usually after a hurricane, they would find Spanish coins on the beach.

Shortly after I heard the Mexican Government declared this island to be off limits to all.

To date... I always thought of boating out to this island for a pick nick.

Jean Lafitte - Monument.jpg

At Dzilam De Bravo a statue dedicated to the pirate Jean Lafitte can be found next to the ocean water.

In February 1823, the infamous pirate Jean Lafitte, severely wounded from an encounter with Spanish warships, sailed his schooner General Santander westward from the coast of Cuba into oblivion.

Lafitte’s fate has remained a mystery for 183 years.

Historians and biographers have offered different theories.

Some believe he died of his wounds and was buried on Isla Mujeres, Yucatan’s Isle of Women.

Others believe he was buried at Dzilam De Bravo which is now shown by a monument erected to mark the site after a hurricane washed the original grave into the sea.

Some more fanciful theories are that he recovered from his wounds and sailed to the Mediterranean where he succeeded in rescuing Napoleon Bonaparte from St. Helena.

There are many theories...But the one that seems to have the most credence to me is the one passed down as fact over the generations by the families of Dzilam De Bravo.

According to oral history, the dying Lafitte was brought ashore by his brother Philipe and his daughter Lucia.

When Jean died, he was buried in the local churchyard.

Lucia remained in the village, was adopted by Inez Estrada Cedil, and was later married, which started the blue-eyed dynasty which I had previously heard about years before.

I was curious why Jean Lafitte would have named one of his ships “General Santander" which was of “Columbian Registry”, so I researched it.

It appears General Francisco de Paula Santander was a revolutionary leader in South America for its independence from Spain.

Francisco de Paula Santander - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He fought under Simon Bolivar who later became the President of the Republic of Columbia.

Jean Lafitte also proclaimed that he was not a pirate but a fighter for the War of Independence of Mexico against Spain.

All the time lines co-ordinate with these three Patriots!

Lafitte and his men continued to take Spanish ships in the Gulf of Mexico, often returning to Galveston or the barrier islands near New Orleans to unload cargo or take on supplies arranged by Pierre.

The congressional delegation in Louisiana began to demand that the Federal Government do something to halt the smuggling, and sent more U.S. Navy ships to the Gulf.

Their patrols and interventions reduced the number of active pirates in the region.

In October or November 1821, Lafitte's ship was ambushed as he attempted to ransom a recent prize.

After first escaping with some crew, he and his men were captured and jailed.

On February 13, he escaped, likely with outside help.

Maybe he returned to Mexico.

Maybe his Treasure is still safely buried…on an unnamed island…just off the coast of Progreso, Yucatan, Mexico

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Was the segment on the LDM any good, or more of the same rhetoric used on "The Curse..." show?

Checked the "Lost Dutchman's Mine" discussion group...didn't seem to make any impression; no new posts there since last weekend.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Was the segment on the LDM any good, or more of the same rhetoric used on "The Curse..." show?

Checked the "Lost Dutchman's Mine" discussion group...didn't seem to make any impression; no new posts there since last weekend.
I was impressed, there was very little BS, not counting the fact that the town of Goldfield was a fake tourist trap, and Gary actually did the digging....amazing

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a kid, I loved Bill Burrud's "Treasure" show on TV. It was originally broadcast in the late 1950's but local TV stations would show it in syndication in the mid-60s. I saw the show on the Money Pit about the same time the Reader's Digest story came out (1967?). I think he only had about one season (10-12 episodes, I think). I remember a few; LDM, Oak Island, Ben Subblet, Lost Adams, maybe one on Victorio Peak; there were several more. I think the shows can be found on VHS, but haven't seen any DVDs.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Never...Underestimate...The Power of YouTube!

As a kid, I loved Bill Burrud's "Treasure" show on TV. It was originally broadcast in the late 1950's but local TV stations would show it in syndication in the mid-60s. I saw the show on the Money Pit about the same time the Reader's Digest story came out (1967?). I think he only had about one season (10-12 episodes, I think). I remember a few; LDM, Oak Island, Ben Subblet, Lost Adams, maybe one on Victorio Peak; there were several more. I think the shows can be found on VHS, but haven't seen any DVDs.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am going to suspend my subscription on Amazon Prime for the remainder of the shows "Beyond Oak Island." I see no need to pay for research that most of us have already finished. I already paid for the research and then to pay someone else for the same research does not make good sense. 95 percent of the show is research people have done on a particular treasure. Then Gary or whomever goes out and talks to them. Then he swings a detector picks up a nail or a spent shell and then says what a great time he had. I guess if I got paid $50,000 a show I would get excited over a rusty nail or a piece of scrap iron. But that is just not my thing. I want to go dig up these treasures and lots of them. I have been talking to several people in several states and we want to go out and recover treasures. We are planning and it is going to happen whether any tv or crap people are around or not. I have watched "The Curse of Oak Island" for 8 years and in all that time, all the treasures they have recovered, I have recovered more treasure in one day. It is really senseless that people keep watching hoping they will find something. Myself I am tired of the dead ends of them never going back to finish one project before moving to another. They just keep leaving you hanging. The next show you ask yourself what happened? Why did they not go back where they had finished off the week or even the year before. I have had enough. Watch to your heart's content.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am going to suspend my subscription on Amazon Prime for the remainder of the shows "Beyond Oak Island." I see no need to pay for research that most of us have already finished. I already paid for the research and then to pay someone else for the same research does not make good sense. 95 percent of the show is research people have done on a particular treasure. Then Gary or whomever goes out and talks to them. Then he swings a detector picks up a nail or a spent shell and then says what a great time he had. I guess if I got paid $50,000 a show I would get excited over a rusty nail or a piece of scrap iron. But that is just not my thing. I want to go dig up these treasures and lots of them. I have been talking to several people in several states and we want to go out and recover treasures. We are planning and it is going to happen whether any tv or crap people are around or not. I have watched "The Curse of Oak Island" for 8 years and in all that time, all the treasures they have recovered, I have recovered more treasure in one day. It is really senseless that people keep watching hoping they will find something. Myself I am tired of the dead ends of them never going back to finish one project before moving to another. They just keep leaving you hanging. The next show you ask yourself what happened? Why did they not go back where they had finished off the week or even the year before. I have had enough. Watch to your heart's content.

LOL....finished the research AND still no treasures found........HA......you should really do research to see if you can intern for the laginas. Perhaps they could school you on actual treasure researching technique.....

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You know, I can kind of get on board with that...although I question using TV shows in the course of "research" other than to find out what others THINK, but NEVER to obtain facts. Many "facts" that are presented on TV shows, even documentaries and biographies turn out to be the director's/producer's/sponsor's opinion or to forward an agenda - or to sell books or streaming subscriptions. I view TV as a tool of entertainment, and no more.

But the majority of what you posted has merit - these shows perpetuate the stories and legends of vast wealth and treasure that tantalize and inspire us, and have for hundreds of years. There is nothing wrong with "believing", or in seeking such things. The adventure is not in the possession of wealth; it is in the adventure to find it. Forrest Fenn felt this way as well. Robert Service put this well in his poem "Spell of the Yukon", in the final verse, presented here:

"There’s gold, and it’s haunting and haunting;
It’s luring me on as of old;
Yet it isn’t the gold that I’m wanting
So much as just finding the gold.
It’s the great, big, broad land ’way up yonder,
It’s the forests where silence has lease;
It’s the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It’s the stillness that fills me with peace.

Good luck in your adventures.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Well they figured out that the LDM is known mine Silver something, but it is illegal to do any mining anymore in the Superstitions so it is kind of a mute point. What good is it to search for it if you can't touch it anyway.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The LDM is a great story, but it was proven years ago that Waltz was nothing more than a high grader.

He worked at the Vulture mine near Wickenburg for years, high graded ore, stashed it in the hills, and then retired in another town, going to his stash when he needed money, and made the whole mine story up to cover his thievery.

The matchbox was matched to the ore at the vulture mine in the 1970's, i believe.

Don't hate me, LDM hunters, but i am quite certain those are the facts. Doesn't make a very good legend though, so you get what we have.

I think the TV show " In Search of" is where i first heard this.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The LDM is a great story, but it was proven years ago that Waltz was nothing more than a high grader.

He worked at the Vulture mine near Wickenburg for years, high graded ore, stashed it in the hills, and then retired in another town, going to his stash when he needed money, and made the whole mine story up to cover his thievery.

The matchbox was matched to the ore at the vulture mine in the 1970's.
Dr Glover proved that the matchbox ore did not come from the Vulture mine, as have Feldman

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This last episode has convinced me that the Lagina brothers are the worst thing that ever happened to treasure hunting.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Dr Glover proved that the matchbox ore did not come from the Vulture mine, as have Feldman

No, Glover demonstrated that the matchbox ore did not match one particular saved ore sample from the Vulture mine. He did not provide the sample's recovery date, stope/drift location, depth below surface, et al. So what? Because in a large underground mine, such as the Vulture as we know it, the ore can and does change its characteristics (sometimes radically) based on factors such as those noted above. Waltz's ore could have come from any number of locations, not necessarily even from the Superstitions.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Olivier Levasseur...La Buse...The Buzzard...Right Under Oak Island's Nose!

Season 1 Episode 1...Olivier Levasseur's Treasure' location is talked about.

Oak Island - Buse.png

Many have tried to solve the puzzle as to where Olivier Levasseur may have buried his treasure prior to his execution in 1730.

Many believe it was buried at Madagascar and are currently looking for it there.

These three Searchers have a better chance of finding it there than many.

https://flixtor.to/watch/tv/3784394/the-grand-tour/season/4/episode/2

From my research I have come to a conclusion that he buried it right at Oak Island.

Oak Island - Levassuer.jpg

My theory can be read at: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/oak-island/441806-oak-island-strange-bizarre-maybe-truth-29.html

Posts 429-438

Last edited:

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my research I have come to a conclusion that he buried it right at Oak Island.
FINALLY... We have the answer to who buried treasure on Oak Island in the Money pit! Thanks Robot...

Maybe now we can work out the answer to this important question seeing OI is solved.

answer.jpg

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Chicken Or The Egg!

Gee that is easy for any Farmer.

First you get the chicken to lay the eggs...then you deep fry the chicken and scramble the eggs.

Kentucky Fried Chicken...with scrambled eggs!

Chicken or the egg.jpg

Chicken fried.jpg

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Robot sure is getting use out of what he once claimed was a Freemason star chart!
Recon now it is a pirate star map, and of course there is always the Templars. :laughing7:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Never Burn Your Bridges...You May Need To Cross Them Once Again!

Robot sure is getting use out of what he once claimed was a Freemason star chart!
Recon now it is a pirate star map, and of course there is always the Templars. :laughing7:

Burn Bridges.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread