BH 11" DD Coil?

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should receive a new DD Coil for my BH 505 today, Did a search and didn't find to many reviews. I posted on an old thread several days ago in the BH Forum and didn't get any response. Anyone want to chime in. Please if you would, refrain from knocking the BH brand. I've heard all the rants, I don't care.... I like my 505 and I respect what ever brand you swing. Thanks

Upvote 0

jason vandiver

Jan 4, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
BH QD II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure personally about this coil? Please let me know how good/bad this works as I was looking into on of these for my BH!!

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, just came in today and with a couple inch of snow and frozen ground might be a while before I can really give it a good run. Air test shows it doubles the depth I was getting from the original 8" factory in dis.mode with full sens and dis. low. You need to be sure it will work with a QD II I believe it was designed for the 505 and not sure it works across the range if detectors BH makes. Craig

jason vandiver

Jan 4, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
BH QD II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow double huh !! This sounds promising , Is it the screw in kind or the plug in? The QDII is plug i'll have to check this out !

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's 5 pin push in plug and keep in mind it was an Air test comparing my old 101 to the 505. In Discrimination mode 101 Actual was 3"-4" avg, 5" on larger targets. for the 505 and 6"-7"avg.and 8" on larger targets. In All Metals mode I would loose signal at 10" on avg. targets (coins down to dimes) and 11"-12" on larger. Yeah it sounds promising but that's just an air test. Suppose to get above freezing today and I gotta get out and try it. Board to death round here. Leaving for Aruba in Mar. for a week gonna hit some beaches and the off side of the island. Did some research and there was a gold producing mine there once and I guess its a place frequented by MDers.
You might call KellyCo and ask to talk to a technician they may be able to better explain if the DD will work for you. Freq design may be an issue but better left to someone other than me.

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202 with all 3 heads. The large heads get a few more inches depth, but was a lil shakey on the pole. It also developed a short in the connector, but I could cover a lot of ground real quick. PinPointing is a lil bit more challenging. I will repeat this story again. I met a guy with a vintage bounty hunter who pulled more coins in 5 minutes than I pull in a hour, at a park I hunt at on a regular basis. He used a bounty hunter even older than mine. He had been doing this for 40 years and had no want to upgrade his machine. I run a high end fisher and was embarrased almost to the point to start bringing the bounty hunter from now on. I learned a lot that day just watching that gentleman, my fisher now fills my pockets much faster. You will find the large coil a great addition and very helpful for covering large areas. You wont need the depth in the park, but out in the less populated areas it will get you the relics. Even though my fisher easily doubles or triples the performance from my BH, it is really too sensitive for coin shooting in the parks. Just dont wrap your coil wires too tight like I did. Good Luck, send pictures of new coil and finds.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I gave it a try today, it just wasn't going to happen. Grounds just to darn hard to dig. There is a definite weight difference with the DD oppose to the factory 8". I've rigged up a shoulder harness from an old AR 15 sling and some quick connect buckles. Kinda like the feel and will probably keep me on the stick longer even with the smaller coils. I will post some picks when I'm able to make some finds.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 deg. and sunny in NW IN. today an I was able to get out for a hour or so. Frost was at 3 to 4" and you could cut it but it wasn't any fun. Found a buck 67 in clad and a ladies plated ring with twenty one stones in it. The DD coil did an unbelievable job at discrimination, depth and pin pointing was right dead center. Worked and old football field where the bleachers use to be. Pulled everything from ground that I've been over at least three times before. Dug only two signals that weren't a good dig. Ran full sensitivity and zero discrimination till I got an repeatable signal then turn the disc. up to 3/4 or full to confirm it was a good dig. Over half the digs were 6" to 8" the ring was 8" to 9". This is a major improvement to what I was getting. I think I'm going to like this set up when the ground thaws. Jason if you confirm the technical OK for use on the QD II. I think you will like it.

jason vandiver

Jan 4, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
BH QD II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ... I'm hearing both ( that it will work on any BH) and Then I hear only the BH Platinum ??!! I guess I could order and see ?!
Also , is the weight really that problematic ?

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No today I used it without the homemade strap and until you mentioned it I hadn't given it a thought. Only on the stick for maybe an hour. Well more than half that time I was busting frost.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who says the BH isn't deep. I met a seasoned fellow with a vintage BH and he spanked me in my own park. But what a lesson I learned. Good weather is coming, just hold on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions