Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hunting on a new site on 3 acres with a spring which has been continuously occupied since at least 1836 by early settlers, and Indians before that, with at least one log cabin having been here, 2 coal mining buildings that were in use from about 1880 to 1950 as offices and afterwards as living quarters, and now a doublewide trailer which has been sitting here since 1972. That equates to LOTS of nails and iron items, as thick as I've ever seen anywhere. So I swept several promising areas twice, at 90 degrees to each other, running close overlapping tight patterns with my standard 9" coil and the machine's discriminator turned up just enough to cut out small nails, and the sensitivity at a little over halfway as the 202 became unstable with it turned much higher. I found about 20 coins after several hours of hunting, none being very old, along with some larger iron items that sounded good to my 202 along with lots of tabs, can slaw, and bottle-caps. Decided the next day I hunted to try my 4" coil and work the exact same areas resulting in pulling out over 80 more coins, one wheat and a silver ring which had all been masked to the 9" coil by all the ferrous objects, along with some more sweet sounding trash! Several coins came out that had been in contact with nails and other iron pieces and even have iron oxide marks on their surface where they were in contact with various ferrous objects.
I was able to run my sensitivity to max with the 4" coil and the 202 still retained good stability in this particular soil. It seems to have about the same depth as the 9" coil and reminds me of hunting with my old Compass Judge II TR detector back in the 70's, which really had some great see through ability in iron-steel saturated sites.
I've been MD'ing for 50 years and have a pretty good idea about what I'm doing and what various machines are actually capable of. I've used the 202 with the 4" coil in some other trashy areas, but none as trashy as this one is, and I am really impressed with it's coin sniffing see through iron capability.
The 4" coil makes for slow hunting, especially when running a tight pattern, but the payoff is worth the effort if you are hunting in an older trashy area and you might want to give one a try.

In the meantime I plan on working this old site for all it's worth as I know there will be some older coins and artifacts here and also plan on re-hunting several other old trashy sites nearby where I've been over once already with the 9" coil and see what I else can turn up using the 4" coil. It's like having a whole new machine and I'm having a blast! Cheers!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back