BH Discovery 2200, help me with IDing targets please.

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok yall, ive been MDing for about 6 weeks so far. I bought a discovery 2200 at a pawn shop for 40 bucks,:thumbsup: it was missing battery cover and they thought it was missing the battery pack and cover. I told them since it was broke and no1 else was gonna buy it id give em 40 bucks cash out the door. I already knew it only took 2 9v and that i could just use duct tape till i found a cover replacement. I also bought a lonestar the next day for 60 as a back up. I dont like the lonestar as much. So ive been swinging the 2200 since and have found a lot of cool stuff, including silver already. Ive also bought a 4" coil for it. My mian questions are these, What will gold hit at usually with this unit. I hear everyone else talk about number read outs. Mine dosent have that, it has the ID ranges that itll pretty much tell you what kind of metal it could be. I was thinkng it hit at the IRON ID, but otheres talk about it coming up as pull tabs on their units. I get TONSSSSSS of iron hits everytime i detect at parks and schools in the main gathering ares, not so much out in the fields. So if it does hit at iron will it be a different tone but still show IRON???The other question is, How many of yall have had success with the 4" coils?? Im reluctant to put it on because ive found so much already with the 8". Ive thought about putting the 4" on the lower shaft of lonestar and just swapping out the lower shafts when neccesary and just using the 2200 machine. But when to use it, alot of places i hunt are trashy, but the WHOLE area isnt necessaraly, just around the trees and pavilions and stuff. So, do yall go on a full hunt just using 4" or do yall swap mid hunt depending upon terrain and conditions??? Any help would be appreciated

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
gold should ring 5c - zinc depending on size i have not used the 4" coil so i cannot comment

OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thank you . i reposted under the plain MD forum since 50 people looked but had no advice. I was starting to think i was alone on this issue. I tested my wifes white gold but didnt know if yellow hits different or not. That might sound stupid but hell, im cluless with the GOLD.

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I once gathered up all the gold items I had ever found and air-tested them on the Discovery 2200. They ran from "foil" all the way up to "penny"...it depends on size and maybe purity. I even had a fine gold chain that NO detector I had could see, including an XLT...I must have found it (at the beach) by accident, either it was lying in a certain unique position that was detectable, or I beeped something else and snagged the chain lying next to it.

The 2200 makes a throbbing/burping sound for iron and other super-low trash. I never found anything of value digging in that range and rejected it most of the time. The Discovery was my principal detector for about six years and I found maybe 10-15,000 coins with it. Depth: OK to so-so. Weight and balance: excellent. Coin ID and depth meter: quite reliable. Lack of pinpointing function; not much of a problem, especially given the open coil. My battery door broke too--it's a weak point in the way Bounty Hunter makes things. The F5 has the same type of door but it seems more robust because the overall housing is larger.

I now have the standard coil and a 5" DD coil for my F5...I don't think I am losing much running the small coil but my habit is to put the standard coil on for beach hunting, and hunt grass with the sniper coil. It's a LOT easier to pinpoint with it.

OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOOKY LOOKY who found some gold!!!!!!!!!! It hit at 5cent/pull tab IDs. 24" 14k ITALY chain. I was stoked. I told myself before i ever took detector out of the jeep that i was going to dig everything above IRON ID. This was my second hit at the school playground, while my kids were plaiyng today. still in awww. THANKS for all yalls help

Attachments

• april, zoo 005.JPG
    april, zoo 005.JPG
    748.4 KB · Views: 254
  • april, zoo 009.JPG
    april, zoo 009.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 224
  • april, zoo 010.JPG
    april, zoo 010.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 244

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
awsome stuff man super happy for ya

1graeman

Mar 7, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is awesome. I have yet to find gold... I can find clad and iron, though :)

OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:BangHead::censored:.........................i regret to inform yall that this chain i found is a fake. A well stamped FAKE. ughhhh. thought i had me some cash coming my way. Oh well. ill hit it one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread