BH vs other detectors

I started out using a BH Tracker IV...Also, a 1100 Discovery (BH)...I still have them and won't get rid of them, but they don't get as much use as they used to. I use a Whites now, mostly but also the Ace 250 with a sniper coil. Some folks put the BH down but I will never say a bad thing about them. Served me well.

robert roy'

I have used BH since 1967. (They were BFOs back then and the Co. was called PNI.) BH has always had their place in the MDing hobby. I have used many different models over the years and occasionally use one today. I'm a Tesoro dealer, but I have to be honest, you get a lot of detector for small bucks with a BH. That's why a lot of beginners use them. BHs will do a little bit of everything well, but none of the models are super at any single function. Once you are more proficient and skilled most people find that they need to own three or four detectors. Just my take on it. Joe

own two bh the tracker 4 and the QD2 -- used others detectors too over the years --- I do ok with my bh --- there are better ones out there but for my needs they work fine -- in the hands of a skilled user they can work well --- yet are simple to use for beginners and affordible

started out 5 years ago with the rs landstar. have had whites, minelab, but for some reason i like the landstar better. i also have rs tracker iv, and a discovery 3. also had a 3300. they find coins, jewelry and relics. just what i want. i may get a coinstrike and silver umax in near future, but i don't think i will part with the bounty hunters. hh

I have a Tracker IV and a QD II For the time and the places I can hunt they are just right..Work well,.Other machines may find more or work in salt water etc but for me I have a pair of good machines that give me fun when time and health permit..

I have a unique combo of the BH tracker IV and the Ace 250 in fact two ace 250s my routine is to use the ace 250 which has the stock coil to hunt a site first, then I hunt it again with the bounty hunter, then a third time with the ace and the 12 inch coil. My first sweep seems to get alot of the clad and pulltabs out of the way cause the BH cleans up on gold and silver but then it does only go so deep like 6-8 inches while the ace with the 12 inch coil makes sure I got all I want to dig from 8-10 inches. Any deeper then that and your an artifact hunter. Plus you gotta really like diggin to wanna go 12 + inches to recover a wheatie, not me ! ;D

I got a BH (Radio Shack) Discovery 2200 (won in a raffle on a $1.00 ticket), a Quick Silver (as part of repayment on a loan from a co-worker), and a Teknetics T2 ( won also as a door prize). Three machines, not enough invested to pay for the $100 Quick Silver, but I wouldn't trade or take anything for them. They all find relics, gold and silver jewelry, coins and everything else at depts up to 28 inches (the Teky). Hell, I'm not out to start a mine shaft, or hit oil, I don't realy care to dig over 8" in most places I hunt.
But I know each of my machines, top to bottom, inside and out. And yes, I have ran circles around some of the "big dogs" beep, ping, and ding machines.
Metal detecting is 33% machine, 33% knowledge and skill in it's ability and how to use it, 33% attitude and 1% luck.
Go dig it.

Being a newby and being ignorant, my first detector was a Chinese made marvel. After a couple of weeks of pure disappointment I sent it back to Kellyco and got a BH. After going the Chinese junk route I was tickled to death with my BH. Some of my best finds were found with it. I only moved up because I learned a lot about detecting that first year, mainly through this forum, and wanted to try my hand at a little more sophisticted machine. Sorry to say, for twice the price I didn't get twice the improvement. I found out that all detectors have their limitations and not having all the bells and whistles just meant a lot fewer things to go wrong. My BH was a fine little machine and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any newby as a first machine. Monty

Been a White's user all my life until last year when I picked up a Discovery 2000 (Bounty Hunter Lone Star) in the classifieds for 25 bucks. Only bought it because it was such a good deal, never had much interest in changing brands. But I've used the heck out of it, my best find ever was made last month with it. It's not made nearly as solid as my White's but it's a decent machine. I'm hanging on to it. I use it for quick lunch-time hunts just to get out of the office.

I own and have owned a lot of detectors over the years. I still own several today. I started out
with a radio shack $100 machine. I still have it(sentimental reasons), but I have a Bounty Hunter
Big Bud SED that I have used for 20 years and it still finds stuff in well hunted areas that I hunt.
I also use other machines, but my BH is my primary detector.

I started with a BH 1100 - gift from hubby for Xmas last year. Within 2 months I had spent hours and hours on the hobby and loved it. So I upgraded to the ACE250. I love my ACE as my coin count tripled.

However, we still have the BH and my teenage son uses it sometimes.

I started out with a Garrett (sx American), then a D-Tex Money King, then a Whites 6000D, tesoro Cutlass, Then BH Landstar, Fisher 1236X2, BH Quickdraw2 (for wife or guest). I have been hunting since 1979 and have had good luck with all these detectors. I use the fisher for the last or so, but missed my Landstar( used for 7 years) so much, that I bought a new LS camo from bass pro yesterday. The LS fits my hunting style better than any detector I've owned. I have found more rings with a LS than all the rest put together. Metal detectors are like fishing lures, you catch or find with what you have confidence in. Also BH coils don't cost a arm and a leg like other brands. Cal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back