What's new

Bifurcates

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Messages
7,826
Reaction score
7,076
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(I was asked to show some of my older pieces so I'm going to bump up a few of my posts so they can see them rather than post them again)




I gathered up some of best Bifurcate Points and took a couple new pics the other day and thought I'd share them plus a few older pictures. These are all personal finds from southern Ohio. If you have any you'd like to share feel free to.

The first 2 pictures are the new ones I just took and the others are some older ones. The last 3 pictures are an in situ of a really nice Bifurcate I found last year while hunting with my father that has a trait that is common on a lot of the Bifurcates we find around here and that burinating on the sides of the stem. The last picture show the Burin Flake that was removed and the other side looks the same. I have quite a few with this same trait and according to the Ohio Flint Types book written by Robert Converse this is a pretty common trait on these types.
 

Attachments

  • Bifurcate Points.webp
    Bifurcate Points.webp
    98 KB · Views: 494
  • DSC_0032.webp
    DSC_0032.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC_0031.webp
    DSC_0031.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 474
  • Blanton Site (13).webp
    Blanton Site (13).webp
    68.1 KB · Views: 461
  • Blanton Site (14).webp
    Blanton Site (14).webp
    93.2 KB · Views: 480
  • Blanton Site (2).webp
    Blanton Site (2).webp
    207.8 KB · Views: 487
  • Pics-290.webp
    Pics-290.webp
    24.1 KB · Views: 475
  • Bifurcate Points.webp
    Bifurcate Points.webp
    98 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
Upvote 0
you have some nice gems there, thanks for sharing. i hope to post some pictures over the winter months. i just finally bought a good camera.
 
Great post. That is certainly a "mess" of biffies!

Chuck
 
Very nice. Steve what material are the white points? Pic 3 bottom corners.

Molly..
 
hey steve, found this one last weekend, looks like yours, mine was found in NM and when we found it someone suggested pedernales worked down, but they dont occur in this area, any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • CIMG0423.webp
    CIMG0423.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 339
Nice looking point chong, but I have no clue as to what type from your area.

Jeff, very nice looking tray of Bifurcates. We don't find the McCorkles in my area. At least I've never found one. Any of yours have the Burin Flaking on the base?
 
Nice looking biffies all around, here's a few of mine.
 

Attachments

  • php7PJrWLPM.webp
    php7PJrWLPM.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 284
  • phptaZUIyPM.webp
    phptaZUIyPM.webp
    37.2 KB · Views: 290
  • phprRCU5lAM.webp
    phprRCU5lAM.webp
    60 KB · Views: 286
  • php4ot3mCPM.webp
    php4ot3mCPM.webp
    58.8 KB · Views: 287
  • phpH2NIwqPM.webp
    phpH2NIwqPM.webp
    40.8 KB · Views: 285
  • phpINuv89PM.webp
    phpINuv89PM.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 280
  • phpTND62MPM.webp
    phpTND62MPM.webp
    45.3 KB · Views: 289
  • phpE4LdAZPM.webp
    phpE4LdAZPM.webp
    28 KB · Views: 276
  • phpItheX2PM.webp
    phpItheX2PM.webp
    23 KB · Views: 264
steve i have a couple small lake erie bifurcates that have the burined bases, ive never seen a big one with it
 
I find them here but mostly just pieces.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3213.webp
    100_3213.webp
    114.3 KB · Views: 92
Super collection of points you have there Reaper:notworthy:
 
Here's a few more Bifurcates I have acquired in the past few months.

The first two I got at the Flea Market for $10 each. The one on the left has the Burin falking on one side of the base which is typical for the type. These are both from Scioto county and I know the guy I bought them from. They were personal finds of his.

The second two I got at Swap Days and are from Delaware county Ohio. I got a bag of Points for $27 that the man said had all came from his garden. The tray is all the pieces I got from him.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0047.webp
    DSC_0047.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0039.webp
    DSC_0039.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0049.webp
    DSC_0049.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 79
Here's a few from New Mexico that I acquired for my states collection. I really like the two translucent pieces.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0052.webp
    DSC_0052.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0056.webp
    DSC_0056.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0054.webp
    DSC_0054.webp
    13 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0055.webp
    DSC_0055.webp
    13.2 KB · Views: 78
Back in the day ,how long do you think it took an Indian to make an arrow head?
 
Back in the day ,how long do you think it took an Indian to make an arrow head?

I've seen modern knappers make them in less than an hour so I'd say right around that for some and maybe longer from some others.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom