What's new

Big blow

diveplam

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2021
Messages
114
Reaction score
258
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse AQ1B, Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello! Today was an incredibly successful day for me. I have been diving this shipwreck for years and it was well-intentioned for me. After a week of excitement, the sea had changed its bottom. The sands had retreated and the rocky bottom had appeared, which drove my metal detector crazy. Big triple whammy
 

Attachments

  • 20260418_132621.webp
    20260418_132621.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 302
  • 20260418_132712.webp
    20260418_132712.webp
    343.8 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
In fact, the coins are not only Russian. One of the three coins is an Austrian ducat.
I could only see one of the coins clearly when I enlarged them to be able to read what was on the coins.

I did see that one was different but still too blurry to make out what it was.
 
I could only see one of the coins clearly when I enlarged them to be able to read what was on the coins.

I did see that one was different but still too blurry to make out what it was.
The two Russian coins are 5 rubles. One is from 1847, the other is from 1851. The Austrian one is a ducat from 1852.
 
I think they'll look better that way.
 

Attachments

  • 20260411_190846.webp
    20260411_190846.webp
    953.7 KB · Views: 169
  • 20260411_191055.webp
    20260411_191055.webp
    782.3 KB · Views: 182
Hello! Today was an incredibly successful day for me. I have been diving this shipwreck for years and it was well-intentioned for me. After a week of excitement, the sea had changed its bottom. The sands had retreated and the rocky bottom had appeared, which drove my metal detector crazy. Big triple whammy
Living the dream! Are you a professional salvor?
 
Living the dream! Are you a professional salvor?
I am a professional diver, but I can't say I am a professional salvager. I have discovered several shipwrecks from what is probably the Crimean War, judging by the artifacts in the Black Sea, including a German submarine from World War I.
 
This Old Topic is from the same shipwreck:

 
Your Austrian coin; beautiful.
Don in SoCal
 
Last edited:
Your Autrian coin; beautiful.
Don in SoCal

Thank you Mackaydon!
I'm not a numismatics expert, but all the coins are very well preserved despite being underwater for two hundred years.
 
Gold is a very special metal and will not tarnish, corrode, etc. and will always look like it did when it went into the saltwater unless it is not very pure, silver will not and will be either heavily corroded, tarnished and or encrusted with barnacles, etc.
 
Gold is a very special metal and will not tarnish, corrode, etc. and will always look like it did when it went into the saltwater unless it is not very pure, silver will not and will be either heavily corroded, tarnished and or encrusted with barnacles, etc.

I agree that it will always look the same as it did when it was in the salt water as long as it does not come into contact with an iron object. Then the iron leaves an imprint on the gold, and after chemical treatment it can be removed. Personally, I have found silver Ottoman coins underwater at a distance of about twenty meters, one of which was darkened, and the other in perfect condition as if it had just been minted.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom