BIG CW question

RKinOI

Nov 18, 2004
Last winter my friend and I were deer hunting in Anson county N.C. on about 300 acres owned by his grandfather. After the morning hunt we were walking back to the truck across a big field when we saw two MDers detecting across the field. Assuming they were tresspassing we approached them to question them and it turns out they had permission from gramps. We asked them to leave and not to return until after turkey season in the spring. (might not let them come back at all for walking around during hunting season dumb A's)Anyway come to find out there was a large CW incampment on his prop. for several months. The two mders had only found dropped bullets and a few buttons but nothing concentrated. How would I hunt this prop.? Should I hunt the high grounds or what should I look for? How would I find out if this is true.

Upvote 0
No, Gramps was pissed. They were told not to hunt between Nov. and the end of March.We have hunted deer and turkey for the last ten years. At the gate to the prop there is a covered map with stand locations. You place your tag on the map and everyone knows where your hunting. Now I'm going to do some different hunting, where should I start?

They would most likely camp near running water for one. Depending on the time of year, either on higher ground or if winter, wherever a natural protection from the north wind. Look for clearings around older, taller trees. Remember we're talking about 150 yr ago. There should be a trash dump nearby, possibly a ravine or something similar as they didn't trash where they slept. Look for areas that have melted lead scrap as that would generally be near a campfire. Look for slight retangular ridges fairly close together as they usually built a slight berm wall to covr the edge of the tent walls in case of rain runoff.

you could ask the dumb a#@!* or maybe NOT. what I'm trying to say is those guys had some luck and you could have played it cool and got some good info from them, but gobble gobble man! start in the middle and work both ways

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back